Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Freestyle
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-12-2008

mjm
Default 2 New Focal Points

1. Keep lead arm in front of shoulder when rolling to breathe.

I've been doing TI drills for two years. Alas, sometimes mindlessly. Lately, I noticed when skating on my left side that when I roll to breathe my lead (left)arm moves toward the center, making a "C" and actually crosses over my midline. When I swim and breathe to my right side the same thing happens--that lead arm bends toward the middle. As a consequence I swim somewhat crooked and take at least one more stroke per length.

2. Keep head tracking in a straight line.

Motor boats track in a straight line--swaying the bow side-to-side would greatly impede forward progress. I know my head moves side-to-side, sometimes more, sometimes less. Lately, I've concentrated on keeping my head tracking on a straight line. For me it's hard--both my head and tracking it correctly. Some swimmers seem to do this effortlessly but rotating around a tracking fixed axis feels so more efficient. Even backstroke feels better with a still head. --mjm
Old 11-12-2008

shuumai
Send a message via Skype™ to shuumai

Maybe you have some tight muscles. Perhap try stretching your chest. Here is a stretch that I do. http://www.healthline.com/blogs/exer...neck-pain.html

Variations can be done in a doorway, using one or both arms simultaneously. Just lunge into the doorway a little when using two arms.

Another stretch that I like to do is pressing my hands against the top front of a doorway and leaning into it. Since I'm not that tall, I have to tip-toe.
Old 11-13-2008
Head Coach

terry has disabled reputation

MJM
It's probably somewhat common to have the lead arm drift toward the centerline in Skating. Lesson 1 (in Superman Glide and Superman Flutter) and (Lesson 2 x/y coordinates for Skating position) in the Easy Freestyle DVD both give primary attention to resisting that impulse.

However, that impulse may become heightened while taking a breath. You didn't specify which kind of breath you take while Skating. Sweet Spot or "sneaky" (i.e. minimal rotation).

If you take a Sweet Spot Breath, it's okay for the lead arm to rotate to a palm up position and float up to the surface. However, the arm should remain on its track as it toes. After the breath return the arm to its fingers-down, palm-back position on the other track -- since you're nose down now.

If you take a Sneaky Breath, you focus on keeping the arm in the same position it is when you're not breathing -- but give extra attention to not letting it drift to the centerline. In fact it can be helpful to leave it farther outside.

Both are illustrated in Lesson 2 on the DVD.
Old 11-13-2008

mjm
Default Sneaky Balance

Nose down skating with sneaky breath is where I discovered my lead arm issue. Only while rolling to a sneaky right breath did my left lead arm drift to the middle causing a loss of balance and movement to the right.

While swimming and sneaky breathing to the right, my left lead arm drifted to and sometimes over the midline. This caused me to sink (and I would lift my head to breathe), ruined my streamline, and made me swim crooked. I rushed my stroke to make up for the loss of balance.

For the first time in a long time, my masters practice morning swimming felt equally balanced and relaxed while breathing on the right or left side. Sweet. --mjm
Old 11-13-2008

shuumai
Send a message via Skype™ to shuumai

[quote=shuumai;105]Maybe you have some tight muscles./QUOTE]

Yeah, I realised just how tight those muscles would have to be to affect the arm position as described. Well, stretches are good anyway. hehe