Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Freestyle
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-28-2008

ironteeth
Default zen frustration

I now know what Eugen Herrigel was feeling in Zen in the Art of Archery . Frustration , but not in a bad way .
I can do all the drills but when I put it into full stroke after 25 to 50m breathing and fishlike streamlining collapse. My legs start to scissor and front quadrant timing collapses. Struggle begins.
I think what is happening is that my leading arm may be too shallow ie 3 o'clock and as I am a long legged lean runner I find balance difficult. At the end of the session I tried to keep my lead arm at 4 oclock and maintaining balance improved.
Does this make sense? Any recommendations

Mark
Old 11-28-2008
Head Coach

terry has disabled reputation

Mark
It may be that relaxing your head and arms into their optimal positions will help you more than trying to put your arm in a particular "clock position."

Try a sequence recommended in several other threads in which the subject was difficulty in maintaining good body position for more than a lap or two.

1) Repeat Superman Glide then Superman Flutter for a few minutes, until the sense of relaxation, support and overall streamline imprints. Focus particularly on hanging your head and hands as you glide.
2) Repeat transitions from SG/SF to Skating. Pull one arm back as you begin ot flutter, extending the other forward into a relaxed fingers-down position on the shoulder line. Alternate SF to Right Skate, then SF to Left Skate. Repeat until you feel the same degree of relaxed "weightlessness" in Skating as in SF.
3) Finally add 3 to 5 strokes after a moment in Skating. Again focus on holding the sense of easy balance and low-drag positions from SF to Skate to your strokes. Then build on that foundation by extending the distance you swim feeling effortless support.
Old 11-28-2008

ironteeth

Wow Terry

That worked an absolute treat. For the first tiem full stroke felt connected up and breathing came easily. I found that on the start of the second lap the stroke timing collapsed at little but that can be sorted out with a bit of clear thinking rather than rushing into the next stroke.

I started to swim back in April this year and though I got fitter in the master swim group I still remained slow so I signed on to a TI couse here in the UK. The drills have been fun and I have started to really enjoy swimming even though I have struggled more than I have flowed. The game plan has been to get the basics right by Jan and then build up from pool to open water and in September I have an Ironman distance triathlon booked in Italy - nothing like a challenge.

Thanks again

Mark