Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Swim Your Way to Health
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-25-2009

Jamwhite
Default Swimming is my pancea

Over the last weekend, my wife commented on how calm and relaxed I have been for a while now. She joked that if she was not certain I was swimming, she would be worried because of my sudden personality change. That got me to thinking.

While it is hard to nail down just how much swimming has improved my life, it is obvious that my happy laps have had a huge impact. In my personal life, I have not only become easier to get along with, but I just want to be friendlier. I think it is largely due to being more relaxed. At work, I can take on more work than I could have handled before because my stress threshhold is higher. My boss even commented that I have been really nailing stuff lately.

Physical of course everything is different. Like many, I started swimming because I getting too heavy and have lost two pants sizes since December (which is not all together a plus because I need new pants but still want to loose a bit now ). My strength and endurance are way up, and a coworker who had not seem me in months commented that he could not believe how healthy I looked (I recommended the book to him).

Finally, but no less important, I would like to be a swim coach now. I really like having other people to swim with and discussing swimming with them. While I happily coach anyone who is interested for free now, it is wonderful to have a hobby that potentially can make new friends and money.

I swim ever chance that I get because I enjoy it so much, but when I sit back and look, it is helping make everything in my life better and more fun too.

Thank you Terry and everyone who helped you to publish Total Immersion.
Old 03-25-2009

Rhoda

Apart from the weight loss, I've had the same experience. I think things out more now, and view problems as learning experiences instead of frustrating obstacles. Maybe it's the "mindful" aspect, maybe the exercise, maybe both, but I feel much calmer as well. My better half has commented on it, too.
Old 03-25-2009
TI Coach

CoachEricDeSanto

I think this is an important concept that many people miss. When i was a personal trainer, one of my biggest challenges was to get people to accept that taking an hour or so out of your day to exercise would make the rest of the day better and more efficient. (I still struggle with this concept myself.) Now, my wife kicks me out of the house to go swimming if I get too grumpy! She says she appreciates my desire to help with the house and all, but she greatly prefers being around me after I have been swimming!
Old 03-13-2010

splashingpat
Default I still struggle with this concept MYSELF!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachEricD View Post
I think this is an important concept that many people miss.
When i was a personal trainer, one of my biggest challenges was to get people to accept that taking an hour or so out of your day to exercise would make the rest of the day better and more efficient.
(I still struggle with this concept myself.) Now, my wife kicks me out of the house to go swimming if I get too grumpy! She says she appreciates my desire to help with the house and all, but she greatly prefers being around me after I have been swimming!

i missed this thread...i think it's worth the read start with JAMWHITE!
nice thread!
kick 'em out

Last edited by splashingpat : 03-13-2010 at 03:38 PM.
Old 03-13-2010
dinah

jamwhite,

that is awesome! thanks for sharing!

dinah
Old 03-17-2010
Coach

CoachBobM

Some people have even suggested that you may literally make up the time you spend exercising by increased productivity and by time that isn't lost to health problems you would be having if you didn't exercise.

Bob