Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Freestyle
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-15-2009

ames
Default Stalling After Sweet Spot Breath

Almost 7 weeks into TI... I am making good progress and have a basic grasp of all the drills. I mostly use sweet spot to breathe and have no trouble now rolling to air, but when I roll back to face-down to continue the drill, I have a hard time getting going again. Not only do I stall from having lost momentum but I also feel unbalanced... it just doesn't feel "right" like when I push off from the bottom or side and skate. It takes me so long to get re-balanced that by the time I do, I almost need to breathe again. Any suggestions to help keep it flowin'?
Old 11-15-2009

elk-tamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ames View Post
Almost 7 weeks into TI... I am making good progress and have a basic grasp of all the drills. I mostly use sweet spot to breathe and have no trouble now rolling to air, but when I roll back to face-down to continue the drill, I have a hard time getting going again. Not only do I stall from having lost momentum but I also feel unbalanced... it just doesn't feel "right" like when I push off from the bottom or side and skate. It takes me so long to get re-balanced that by the time I do, I almost need to breathe again. Any suggestions to help keep it flowin'?
I agree with everything Pat says, but also, are you continuing to kick while you breathe? When you say you feel unbalanced, do you mean your feet drop? If that's the case, I'd go back to the superman drill, or maintain a bit of speed so balance is easier.
[I'm also just a few weeks in to TI, so this is complete speculation]
Old 11-15-2009

splashingpat
Default i'm just guessing here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by elk-tamer View Post
I agree with everything Pat says,
but also, are you continuing to kick while you breathe?
When you say you feel unbalanced, do you mean your feet drop? If that's the case, I'd go back to the superman drill, or maintain a bit of speed so balance is easier.
[I'm also just a few weeks in to TI, so this is complete speculation]
maybe you have imprinted it!
sometimes we imprint what we did NOt want to!

please let us know
when you find out!

Last edited by splashingpat : 11-16-2009 at 12:57 PM.
Old 11-16-2009

daveblt

try to continuously relax and lean into balance and maintain a long body line as you roll back down from your breath .Also is it possible you may be getting caught in a stacked shoulders position too long as you roll ?

Dave
Old 11-16-2009

AWP

ames,

Try rotating just the head back to nose down after your breath. If you can't do this and be in a skating position, perhaps you're too far on your back.
Old 11-17-2009

ames

I think I am too far on my back... I will try your suggestions tomorrow at the pool. I'm sure I will figure it out, just wondered if it was a problem others had had and if there was a quick fix. Thanks for the advice.
ames