Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Swim Your Way to Health
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-23-2016
michaelmarshall5030

Question Breaking the mental barrier?

In a previous thread I spoke of swimming being a mental catharsis, yet I have started to encounter something different as I have increased my swimming time duration. I have now mentally "hit the wall" when it comes to swimming beyond 30 minutes, even though I do not feel tired. I have kept my duration of swim time before I become physically exhausted, which I eventually built up to 30 minutes and been swimming for 30 minutes for roughly 2 months now. I am at the point where I know I can swim for more time, yet my mind tells me that I cannot go any further; there is some mental barrier which I do not understand. I have tried to just zone out and lose track of time, with the idea that zoning out would lead me to get past the 30 minutes, but I stop. I do not even look at the clock in between laps (or my watch when in open water), but I know the time I start, then see the clock 30 minutes later when my mind says "stop".

Is there some way to break this mental barrier?
Old 05-24-2016
Coach

CoachBobM

What happens if you ignore what your mind is telling you and just keep going?

A year or so ago, I began doing 400m individual medley (an event I have never done in competition) on a regular basis as a warmup. (400m IM consists of 100m of butterfly, 100m or backstroke, 100m of breaststroke, and 100m of freestyle done in succession without stopping.) After I had been doing this for awhile, I became aware that it was fairly common for me to have a kind of panicky feeling on my 2nd or 3rd length of butterfly (which is certainly the most taxing leg of the IM) that I was never going to be able to complete the entire IM. But I found that if I ignored this feeling and just kept going, I'd end up doing the entire distance.

I've come to the place now where I kind of expect to experience the panicky feeling, and to have to ignore it and keep swimming.

Bob
Old 05-24-2016

WFEGb

Hello michaelmarshall5030,

how about dividing your 30minutes into some parts FE: 4x10min (:-) ) without a stop, but with 40 strokes BS or BK (think strokes might be better than laps...) and then go on with FS for the next 10min. If it works, share a stroke or two every time or take 3x13min (2x20min)...

Best regards,
Werner
Old 05-26-2016
michaelmarshall5030

Believe this or not, BUT I got a waterproof mp3 player/radio with earplugs, and I swam for an hour non-stop when using it.
Old 05-26-2016

WFEGb

Hello michaelmarshall5030,

GREAT! What did you hear? Andy's hints or rhythmic-free meditation-music?

Go on, and don't loose this Music-files :-)

Best regards,
Werner