Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Freestyle
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-06-2017

weakandpuny
Default 10 Weeks from Ironman 70.3 Santa Rosa

Asking for guidance. Seriously out of breath at around 300-500 yards. I'm also aware of my legs splaying out when I breathe. Every time I try to fix a flaw of mine, several others pop up. I seriously over-think sh*t.

https://youtu.be/TmeyZgnoCtw
Old 03-06-2017
coach

CoachStuartMcDougal

Hi WP,

Take a TI workshop. Assuming you live near the Bay Area: March 25-26, San Mateo, CA: http://www.totalimmersion.net/get-co...o-san-mateo-ca

Near LA: April 8-9, Santa Monica, CA: http://www.totalimmersion.net/get-co...anta-monica-ca

Stuart
Old 03-06-2017

weakandpuny

Wish I could, Coach, but it's a bit cost-prohibitive. Certainly something I would like to do, but I'd also have to add in the $$ for lodging Saturday night. Perhaps someday.
Old 03-06-2017
ScoopUK

This is going to really go against the grain (seems to be my thing lately. Sorry folks). Whats the water temperature going to be like? Will it be a wetsuit swim? Assuming it is...

I would recommend worrying less about technique at this point and focus more on rhythm and relaxation in your stroke. 1900m is a long way to swim at the beginning of a circa 6 hour day of sport if you can't do it in with relative comfort. You need to get out the water as fresh as possible.

You look a little rigid in your video. As you say, maybe you are thinking about things a bit too much. Hand entry is quite slow, maybe you don't want to splash or cause bubbles?

Assuming it is a wetsuit swim, personally I would be swimming more with a pull buoy, worrying less about my legs and loosening up that upper body. With a period of taper you really only have 8-9 weeks so stressing over technique in that time is time that could be better served getting fitter in the water and more comfortable. In a wetsuit you are effectively buying buoyancy off the shelf that will resolve your kick/balance issues. Then you can just focus on keeping your legs narrow by brushing your big toes together now and again.

You will also need to sight in the race so if you haven't already start doing some practice sighting in the pool as that will disrupt your stroke even further. I sight every 2nd stroke cycle (4th stroke). Occasionally every stroke cycle (2nd stroke) such as if I'm on someone's feet and I'm not convinced they are swimming straight. When you do this maybe try and read the clock, notice who is on the pool deck, what is the lifeguard doing, what's going on through the window etc. Something so you are consciously paying attention, not just raising your eyes. I've found myself going through the motions before but not really taking the information in.

After your race, if you want to tidy up your swim technique and dial in these issues you wish to resolve that would probably be the time to do it.

Some folk like to show off by swimming non-wetsuit in a triathlon so everybody knows what a good swimmer they must be. That's fine and that level of mastery can be something you seek later but with your race looming I'd do what you need to. You still have 2 other disciplines to work on too and they will be the ones that influence your overall time more so don't get too hung up on the swim fine detail right now.

Maybe post race would be a good time to start the TI program from the beginning again, rebuilding the core skills one step at at time.
Old 03-06-2017

Danny

Regarding your legs, I sometimes get the feeling that my legs are splaying when I get tired. A focus that I find helps is to concentrate on feeling the inside of my knees rubbing together during the kick. This helps keep my legs together and makes my kick come more from the hips.
Old 03-06-2017
coach

CoachStuartMcDougal

Quote:
Originally Posted by weakandpuny View Post
Wish I could, Coach, but it's a bit cost-prohibitive. Certainly something I would like to do, but I'd also have to add in the $$ for lodging Saturday night. Perhaps someday.
Hi Wp,

Workshops are an investment in time and money - and we all have priorities. 10 weeks before a race is a bit late to get serious for a 70.3 swim when you've probably had at least 6 months. But that's actually very common - many do not take the swim seriously and end up muscling through with the perception swimming is more about strength than skill.

The rigid arms/hands, and legs are all due to seeking stability (that's the human in us) - little to no core stability and balance from the middle of the body. Your kick timing is 180 off stunting forward momentum causes hips to drop as well - all increasing drag and the effort too, i.e. "you are gassed after 300m". You need to learn balance and core stability as a priority - not mask these issues with (or create dependency on) pull-buoy or wetsuit.

$400 70.3 entry, $2000 bike (or more), aero helmet/shoes $?, bike fit $?, wetsuit $200+, hundreds of training hours $?, travel $? - again we all have priorities. With 10 weeks to go you need direction and not conflicting opinions. Get the the Effortless Endurance Self Coaching series all of $50 and worth its weight in gold: http://www.totalimmersion.net/store/

This series has a proven progression to get you core stable and balanced, shape your vessel into most streamline shape, limbs (and legs) will then become soft and fluid and carry momentum and energy forward.

Good luck in Napa! The 56 mile ride through the vineyards and wine country is stunning - and a wonderful area for post race recovery too, provided you have cash left over for some of the best food and wine in the world.

Stuart
Old 03-06-2017

weakandpuny

As a clarification, I did IM 70.3 Santa Cruz (wetsuit) in Sept. 2016, and my swim time was 41:18. I was really okay with that. In the lead up to that race (maybe 8-10 weeks out) I was having some of the same struggles I'm having now, and took someone's advice and bought Lava Pants. I understand it masked my poor balance and ineffective kick, but I was then able to get in the yardage and really focus on relaxed breathing and stroke. In Santa Cruz I just mindlessly swam.

After Santa Cruz I continued to wear the Lava Pants during every swim, not really thinking how it was affecting me as a proper swimmer. A few weeks ago It occurred to me I should be swimming without the Lava Pants most of the time. Suddenly my flaws returned in force, but I have been trying mightily to fix them through drills, such as kicking on my side (with and without fins), fingertip drag, 6/3/6 and one-arm swim. The improvements have come very very slowly as I watch the calendar days tick by.

I know what I should have done is ditch the Lava Pants and immediately work on my swim without them, but I screwed up. It was easier to put in the yardage wearing them. As my next 70.3 looms near (wetsuit again), I'm concerned when I'm going to reach a point of no return, and have wasted training days trying to fix things I don't realistically have time to correct. This being the case, I'm seriously considering putting the Lava Pants back on for my swim training, and once the next race is over, try to again improve without them.

Thank you to all for the comments and advice so far.
Old 03-06-2017
coach

CoachStuartMcDougal

Hi WP,

My advice, and coming from a triathlete that was dependent on wetsuit and pull-buoy to swim a distance years ago, it wasn't until I read Terry's book to leave the toys (and lava pants) at home, learn to balance the vessel from the center out. The best thing I ever did in my swimming. In a fairly short period of time, certainly less than 10 weeks, I became a much more balanced swimmer, legs/hips lighter and swam much faster at 1/3 less effort. However, leaving all the toys (boards, paddles, buoys - no lava pants back then) was not easy, like quitting smoking (although I never really smoked) - many times I returned to get the swim bag and forced myself to walk away. Focus on balance and core stability your swimming will be far better making (and sticking to) that decision.

Stuart
Old 03-06-2017

weakandpuny

Thank you, Coach. It'll take discipline, but I'll keep trying. Based on my video, what drills would you recommend? I have a couple TI videos I can go back to watch for reference.
Old 03-06-2017

IngeA

10 weeks isn't very much time and so I would split the training:
Balancing drills without lava pants, distance with pants on.

If you swim with the pants in the race I don't know if it would be wise to force it without now.

I startet swimming without wetsuit. I didn't have any balance problems at all. When I had to change to wetsuit it felt like I were a dubbling duck. Breathing didn't work at all the first time because my balance felt completely different. I had to adapt to the wetsuit. And after my wetsuit time learning to swim without wetsuit was difficult again even if my balance was still good. But it felt bad.

I dont't think thats a wise choice for a race, but perhaps others have other experiences.

Best regards

Inge