Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Outside the Box: Open Water Swimming
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-03-2009

ewa.swimmer
Default What are your best swims?

I think it's encouraging to hear about positive experiences so I'd love to hear some.
I'll start off with the race I had today. This was the first time I have done the Blue Water Race just north of the Kona airport in Kukio. The race was a 1.2 mile one way. The sky was blue, the water visability was at least 60 feet. About mid race I swam over a pod of 20-30 dolphins. I was tempted to stop turn around and swim with them for awhile. At the end of races I tend to tighten up to go faster. This time I kept telling myself "relax and stay long". I was able to do it.
Old 10-04-2009

Jean Bury
Cool Inspiring Swim

Now that's inspiring!! Me, I'm happy when I get to swim in anything, even my neighbor's backyard pond (which he created by backing up Whiskey Creek in my little town of 760), visibility 12 inches. But wow! Someday, I hope to have swim like this. Cool. Jean Bury
Old 10-04-2009

westyswoods

Just returned from National Forest in north WI. swam open water in small crystal clear lake with a blaze of fall colors. Distance of about one third mile across and was quite amazed that I was actually able to swim full distance without having to stop and get sense of direction. Ended up within 10 yards of anticipated end point. Used the colors of shoreline for reference point. I found myself in that zone we all try to achieve. Interesting I didn't realize it until after the fact.
Old 10-04-2009

Grant
Default a pool sucess story

I participated in the British Columbia Senior Games a couple of weeks ago and had both pleasing and surprising results. All year I have had to be careful as I have been recovering from a long head biceps tendon injury. The last month I have been pain free and just began doing a little speed work. Spent the year doing TI drills and focusing on technique, technique and then technique.
I swam the 5th fastest 50m Free in Canada this year, the 2nd fastest 100m Free, the 3rd fastest 200m Free and the 2nd fastest 800m Free. My first race was the 400m Free and my gogles filled with water on the dive and I missed several turns and finished 20 seconds above my seed time. Not a good start but the rest was wonderful.
Also swam the 50m Fly which was not very fast as the lack of speed training really showed. However the stroke feels long and smooth and should bode well in the 100 and 200 Fly races next year.
On Jan 1 I will move up to the 75-79 bracket and have a chance at quite a few Provincial and or Canadian records. Going to add in a little more speed work and keep working on the TI technique approach.
I must say that the stories of open water sucesses have caused me to look at that aspect of swimming. Good luck to you all.
Am very grateful Terry for your continued contribution to swimming of all kinds.
Old 10-10-2009

Rhoda

My best swims have all been vacation swims. The all-time best was going down the Krka River in Croatia on a beautiful warm October afternoon. The warm current was pushing me effortlessly downstream, the trees on the shore were just starting to change colour, and at one point I rolled onto my back just in time to see a huge heron flying overhead. It was one of those swims that I wished could go on forever.
Old 10-31-2009
Coach

CoachDave
Default Best training swims

Two of my best training swims happened on the same lake, but years apart.

On one of them I had a crew for a long training swim (12 miles or so), and was able to go midday instead of early, which was different from my usual training time. The water clarity was excellent, with sunrays going right down to the bottom but still a little visible. I used the angle of the sun in the water to stay straight and went a nonstop mile without a single sight or course correction. It just felt like I was swimming on the top of an aquarium.

I had a training swim this summer where I was giving myself a nudge to strong tempo, and had a few others with me. I finished a mile and looked back as the swimmer behind me stopped. For the entire distance, he had been about 6 inches back, perfect drafting position, and he hadn't touched me the entire way. I've never had such a perfect training partner on the lake.
www.ywcampls.org/ti
www.ywcampls.org/otters
www.distancedave.com
Old 10-31-2009

eddiewouldgo

Last week ranked high. The natural pool below 300' Hanikapi'ai Falls, on the Na Pali coast of Kauai. Maybe the most spectacular 50 yard "pool" on the planet. The 4.5 mile jungle hike to the base of the falls makes the cold water welcome. At the trailhead on the way out, you turn left, walk 50 yards, strip off the Tevas and sweat-soaked t-shirt, and hit the irresistably lovely Ke'e Beach for the cooldown -- reef protected, crystal clear aquamarine water, with many species of tropical fish sharing the lane. Smile swimming, all of it.
Old 10-31-2009

haschu33
Default Those were the days...

When I was 16/17, I made a trip through Europe by rail. They had this special offer for all under 26, you paid a quite reasonable price and could jump on almost any train in most European countries. Some friends and me we arrived late at night in Biaritz, a french border town to Spain, right on the Atlantic Ocean. I loved to swim at that time a lot, I would go into literally any water. Unfortunately I could only swim breaststroke, it is a pity that I didn't learn swimming properly at that time. Anyway, we were completely tired, haven't slept well for days, finished actually, no shower of course since a long time, hungry and ready to break down at any moment. We went to the beach at around eleven at night, threw down our backpacks and jumped into the ocean. It was quite stormy, high and rough waves, the water was full of sand, heavy clouds with a strong moon in between, but no rain, and not too cold. I was swimming in, around, and most of the time through the waves and it was just an incredible experience. It went on for quite a while and afterwards we were like reborn, refreshed, full of energy and - clean! Even the dirt underneath the fingernails was gone...
Another one was in Denmark once (it was again when I was quite young) and I swam out in the northern sea during a thunderstorm There was heavy rain and storm around me, it was dark except for some lightning in the sky. I absolutely enjoyed it, it felt warm and comfortable in the middle of the cyclone. It was only later that I was told that it is not the very best idea to swim out in open water during lightning, particularly to swim out on your own. Actually to be in water and specially in open water is what you really do not want during a thunderstorm. So better to get out as fast as possible. Guess I was lucky. I never did it again. Almost a pity, it was quite something, though.
Another one is years back at a vacation at the northern sea coast in north Germany. I was with my wife and a friend, and before we went the friend asked me, if I go swimming with her in the open sea once a day. It was November, air temperature around 0 (that is 32 for you Fahrenheits) with a strong wind chilling factor, water temperature probably somewhere around 40 (F again). Of course I said yes. It ended with me going into the water everyday while she quit after a couple of days.
It's great, it works like this: at some point while walking along the beach in your thick jackets, shawls and hats you just strip off your clothes very swiftly - don't fiddle around with bathing suits, you are frozen to death before you get them on - run into the water without thinking, and than jump into it and enjoy the shock of the cold. Still the water is warmer than the air. I never lasted longer than a few minutes, swam as strong as I could through the waves and than ran up and down the beach. After that you are warm, fresh, out of breath, almost dry and again like reborn. Yes, you put on your clothes afterwards quite swiftly again :-)) the wind cools you down really fast.
Hopefully I can add some events in the future which are characterized by long, relaxed swimming...

Last edited by haschu33 : 10-31-2009 at 12:38 PM.