Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Freestyle
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-21-2015

weakandpuny
Default How many lessons do you do before going to next one?

I've got the Prepetual Motion Freestyle in Ten Lessons DVD. felt comfortable moving to lesson two after 3-one hour sessions on lession one. Now I've got a couple of lesson 2s down, amd the thought occurred to me: how many practices are average for each swimmer before moving to the next practice? I don't want to move on too early, or waste time on a lesson I should move on from. What is average?
Old 07-21-2015

Richardsk

I would guess that this is a very individual thing. I think it is best to move at your own pace. I find it good to treat it as a circular process in which you keep going back to the beginning. I think this is a good general approach to learning anything.
Old 07-21-2015

johynr]]]

I got this advice from a TI coach regarding when to try the next drill/lesson.

"I would say if you can succeed 60% in each drill"
Old 07-21-2015
TI Coach

CoachEricDeSanto

I agree with Richard, it is very individual. I have worked with people that get through recovery skills in one practice and I have worked with people that take a few weeks to get basic control of balance. He is also correct that you will continually circle back and review basics several times in your training.

I try to get to full stroke as quickly as possible. So I look for comfort and relaxation in each lesson before I go on. I also look for improvement. One of my favorite tools (thanks coach Dave Cameron) is to rate yourself on a scale of 1-7 for each skill. Moving from a 2 -3 is just as valuable as moving from 5-6. So if you improve from a 2-3 and then plateau, move on. When you circle back you will be able to improve beyond that 3.

When learning new techniques, you have 3 things to learn - what is correct, how to move yourself the correct way, and how to know when you have found correct. The second and third skills take time for your nervous system to develop. Circling back gives your nervous system that time.
Albuquerque, NM 87111
http://www.sites.google.com/site/des...achingsystems/
Old 07-25-2015

weakandpuny

Thank you all. @Richard: I agree with your cicular concept. It turns out I was starting each practice with a few laps of just Superman Glide and Skate to set the tone for each swim.
@John: I think that 60% is good advice.
@Coach Eric: Your explanation will help my self-training immensely. I like the progress/plateau/move on/step back way of analyzing my training.

Much appreciated.