Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Swim Your Way to Health
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-13-2014

jafaremraf
Default Eating prior to swimming

Thinking of my early morning swims, because I roll out of bed, grab my swim bag, get in the car and drive 10 mins to the pool, I don't eat before I swim. But I don't think it's such a good idea! I get to eat when I arrive for work about 30 mins after getting out of the pool, so there is a gap before I eat. Evenings I allow a couple of hours if possible after a meal before I swim.

I know I shouldn't swim on an empty stomach and I know I shouldn't swim on a full stomach, and to be honest I'm always trying to lose a little weight so I avoid snacks(!), but as I was so tired the last time I swam I am going to have to eat something.

So, asking the question to the early morning swimmers, do you eat a snack beforehand, snack as you swim or eat nothing?
Old 05-13-2014

jenson1a

Regarding eating before swimming--I am an early riser and before swimming (approx. 1/2 hour) I have a cup of green tea and a Zone protein bar. I also carry a water bottle to the pool and usually consume 28 oz of water in the hour.
As far as the TI totem pole goes, I am pretty far down on the bottom! So I'm not sure if this habit is a help or a hindrance.

Sherry
Old 05-13-2014

Penguin

I used to have a bagel or some other kind of roll with peanut butter or cream cheese plus a cup of coffee in the car on the way to work after my morning workout. Then some of the trainers here at the Y recommended eating before coming in.

So now, I usually have A bowl of cereal, hot or cold depending on the season, and a generous glass of juice before I leave the house. That's 30 to 45 minutes before I get into the pool or start an excersize class.

Then after that, I still have my coffee & bagel on the way to work. The best of both worlds!

Been doing this for 3 or 4 years, and it hasn't bothered me in the water.
Old 05-13-2014

Raini

I get to the pool at 7.30 every morning and just drink a large cup of red bush tea beforehand as I have found eating and swimming in such a short time gap results in me feeling nauseous. On non swim days I don't usually eat until about 11 anyway. If I swim in the afternoon or evening which isn't very often I need to leave a couple of hours gap after I have eaten as the same thing happens. Personally swimming on an empty stomach is better for me but we are all different.
Old 05-14-2014

bx

A glass of red wine and a handful of Ferrero Rocher.
Old 05-14-2014

Grant

I have found that I do better with having a glass of skim milk with a scoop of whey protein powder mixed with it about 45 minutes before swimming. As I swim at 6:15 AM and don't get home till 8:30 this tides me over. Even so I am in the 30 minutes it takes me to get back home I am famished.

May we swim with ease at the speeds we choose.
Grant
Old 05-14-2014

Scotty

I need to have something in my stomach before I swim. Otherwise I get dizzy after 30 minutes of my 60 minute workout.

After some trial and error, I now have half a protein shake prior and then the other half after the swim. I use a vegetarian protein shake and mix it with either soy or almond milk. I started with whey and 1% milk but the solution never digested well. Every time I rotated I could feel the protein powder drink swishing in my stomach.

One-half a banana and one graham cracker round-out my pre-swim snack. I finish my snack at 4:55 a.m. and enter the water at exactly 5:25 a.m. At that hour of the morning I don't feel like eating much more.

At the pool I keep a water bottle filled with one-part sweetened ice tea and six parts water. About every five minutes I take a small sip. Total water consumption in the pool is only about 6 ounces. This excludes the pool water I swallow.

Scotty
Old 05-19-2014

danm

who told you about not swimming on an empty stomach?
your body has plenty of energy reserves for a 60 minutes swim, no matter how intense. and anyway, food doesn't absorb that fast so an "energy bar" eaten on your way to the pool will only fill your stomach... not much of that "energy" will get used during the swim

rant over - if I can't organize my meals so that I have at least 3 hours between a meal and a swim I'd rather not swim. Basically I prefer to swim on an empty stomach, anything I eat right before the swim will come back up my throat...
Old 05-19-2014

Grant

[quote=danm;46482]who told you about not swimming on an empty stomach?

Who told you everybody's system is the same. :0)
Old 05-19-2014

Scotty

Dan M:

I think much of the debate on eating prior to swimming depends on the timing of your last meal and what time of the day you swim. For those of us swimming prior to 6:00 a.m. our last meal might have been as much as 12 hours prior.

That's why I always have a light snack prior to entering the pool. I'm not sure how quickly six ounces of protein powder, half a banana, and a graham cracker get converted to energy. But an intense workout with no food in my stomach definitely drains me of strength after 30 minutes. Plus the gnawing feeling in my stomach is a mental distraction.

If I swam after work, lunch would definitely be the last food I consume.

Scotty