Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Freestyle
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-30-2013

dprevish
Default Legs up

I watched a video of Shinji at a swim conference and am amazed that he can keep his legs horizontal while floating.
I've been trying to get this under control in SG, but the best I can get is to just before the "4" on the inside mark of the pool, then the legs go down.

Is this a critical aspect of balance that I need to practice more to aspire to?(and how best), and can anyone share a success story to go along with?
Old 05-30-2013

CoachToby

I have plenty of clients who can float in SG with legs at the surface, but this doesn't necassarily translate into swimming ability or ability to get balanced when flutter kicking. SG position is more about assuming correct posture - whether the legs sink or not is more often to do with stomatotype. Having said that, practise can influence how fast or slow the legs sink.

Last edited by CoachToby : 05-30-2013 at 10:44 PM.
Old 05-31-2013

dprevish
Default Legs up

Coach Toby,

So in summary, I would strive for improvement, but not over-focus on it.
Seems like good advice, especially since from what you say it's not one of the critical determinants of swimming potential.

Thanks!
Old 05-31-2013

tomoy

Hi Dave. As with many written descriptions, it might help to get a picture or video of you doing Superman Glide.

My journey with SG was thinking I had it down pat after a few months but my rear kept falling. Then moving beyond that to other lessons/practices because who wants to look dead in the water for months and months? Maybe 3 years in and through all the 10 DVD lessons, I checked back in with SG and found my rear was a little better/higher. I could even "cheat" using breathing techniques to move air lower in my lungs (music and yoga training), and that could get me 90% there.

Then I signed up for a class and Coach Stuart quickly (like day 1) pointed out my butt was sinking a few inches below the water in full-stroke. Back to SG, and relearning the VW Bug bumper thing, and now I think I get it.

The real 'aha' moment was to concentrate on reaching further. On dry land, we stand up, put our hands up, wide tracks, dangle the fingers and think that's SG. But I found if I tried a little, I could reach 1" higher. Try a little harder, I could reach 2" higher. Really stretch it and I could reach 3" higher. Granted, you don't want to be hyperextending and stressing your system, but if you can move your handsarmsshoulders 2" higher, that's a lot of mass you're moving forward.

Back in the pool, full extension, stretching myself long: BING, my calves rise to the surface. Took me 4 years, but I did it, and I'm a pretty skinny/dense guy (prone to sink).

Not sure that'll help, but it's almost Friday and I feel verbose :-)
Old 06-01-2013

dprevish
Default legs up

Tomoy,

Hey, thanks for the tips. Yeah, it's true for me that the SG practice sometimes feels like I'm trying to engage a balance aspect that is not wanting to happen. Perhaps if I think stretch then I might be able to get this down.
I've been really trying to purpose myself to practice the drills and like Terry says not to practice struggle or keep "falling in my old ruts", it takes a lot of discipline...arggh!
I'll report back on the results of the stretching out.
Old 06-01-2013

wie

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomoy View Post
The real 'aha' moment was to concentrate on reaching further. On dry land, we stand up, put our hands up, wide tracks, dangle the fingers and think that's SG. But I found if I tried a little, I could reach 1" higher. Try a little harder, I could reach 2" higher. Really stretch it and I could reach 3" higher. Granted, you don't want to be hyperextending and stressing your system, but if you can move your handsarmsshoulders 2" higher, that's a lot of mass you're moving forward.

Back in the pool, full extension, stretching myself long: BING, my calves rise to the surface. Took me 4 years, but I did it, and I'm a pretty skinny/dense guy (prone to sink).
Good advice!
Works to some extend.
My legs stay on top longer. But still after a while they sink.
Also, it is not really the TI relax feeling, with this intensive stretching.
Nevertheless, this is the first tip that improved it for me. Thanks!
Old 06-01-2013
Coach

CoachSuzanne

Quote:
Originally Posted by wie View Post
Good advice!
Works to some extend.
My legs stay on top longer. But still after a while they sink.
Also, it is not really the TI relax feeling, with this intensive stretching.
Nevertheless, this is the first tip that improved it for me. Thanks!

Muscle TONE not tension in muscles needed to hold a position...like reaching a few inches further without bending or twisting...those are your scapular elevator msucles. triceps need to be engaged as well so the elbows don't bend (that causes shortening).

Relax the muscles that don' thelp you in this proces.s..relaxed forearm muscles, relaxed deltoids, relaxed biceps, relaxed rhomboids (rhomboids retract the shoulder blads, that is, pinch them together...the don't help much with moving them forwards or up. )
Coach of 5 time USA Triathlon Triathlete of the Year, Kirsten Sass
Steel City Endurance, LTD
Fresh Freestyle