Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Freestyle
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-19-2011

andyinnorway
Default Anyone tried assymetric Tempo trainer?

By this I mean setting your TT a little below half your normal rate and then swimming 2 beats per stroke on one side and 3 on the other.

I find this an interestingly comfortable way to swim.

If I swim a strict 2-3 pattern then I get less breathless and fatigued then if i swam a 2-2 pattern at the equivalent mid tempo pace.

e.g. Instead of swimming a steady SR of 1.25 I put my TT on 0.5 and swim one side at 1.0(2 beats) and the other at 1.5 (3 beats)

I will often alternate my 3 beat side each length and also use it to develop comfort and length at a new Tempo. Then I will swim 2 beats until I think I have put in a bad stroke, either late of short and take an extra beat on the next stroke to reset my balance and sync.

Finally, on a longer set it keeps my brain more focused as I make a concious decision each stroke to take 2 or 3 beats and mix it up for random pleasure.

I wonder if anyone else has experimented with this?
Old 09-19-2011

dshen

I would throw this question to Dave Cameron, who has often told me that he likes to mess with his swimmers by forcing them to change up by swimming 2 strokes per beep as an exercise...
Old 09-20-2011

DesertDog

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyinnorway View Post

If I swim a strict 2-3 pattern then I get less breathless and fatigued then if i swam a 2-2 pattern at the equivalent mid tempo pace.
where do you put the extra beat? on the breathing side or just mix it up?
Old 09-20-2011

andyinnorway

I mix it up
Old 09-25-2011

saadbox13

Great tip Andy! I will experiment with this assymetric method ASAP. I am a unilateral breather (every 4 strokes) and catching up with the TT pace was becoming a challenge after a continuous long distance swim (over 2k). I always felt a strain on my shoulder due to the fact that I had to spear forcefully after rolling for air.
I will try this set: TT set at 0.3, 4 beats no breath and 5 beats when breathing. We'll see how it goes I have the feeling that too many beats might get a little confusing :)
Old 09-25-2011
Coach

CoachSuzanne

I think this is a clever solution to a problem, however, I think it would be more beneficial to your swimmign to continue to practice the side you feel is more troublesome, otherwise you'll just continue to have the glitch in your stroke without opportunity to imrove it.

In the example given (1.0 sec on one side and 1.5 sec on the other). If 1.5 sec/stroke is comfortable for teh "bad" side, what happens if you set the TT for 1.45 or 1.48 and swim? How does that feel? Do you still feel unbalanced as if the "good" side wants to go faster? Can the "bad" side keep up? Has your bad side just become your good side?

LIke I said, the mathematical solution to your problem is clever, but in the long run, I'm a confused as to what benefit you have in useing the TT this way (in otherwords, why use it at all in that case?).

Just thinking out loud here and not trying to be judgemental.
Coach of 5 time USA Triathlon Triathlete of the Year, Kirsten Sass
Steel City Endurance, LTD
Fresh Freestyle

Old 09-25-2011
Coach

CoachBillL
Default Tried it

This idea is used in Chi Running -- you slow down the tempo so you have one beat on one foot, the next on the other. It seems like a good idea but I could not get it to work for swimming.
Old 09-26-2011
Coach

CoachSuzanne

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachBillL View Post
This idea is used in Chi Running -- you slow down the tempo so you have one beat on one foot, the next on the other. It seems like a good idea but I could not get it to work for swimming.
But do they suggest asymmetry as a matter of practice?
Fresh Freestyle

Old 09-26-2011

andyinnorway

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachSuzanne View Post
I think this is a clever solution to a problem, however, I think it would be more beneficial to your swimmign to continue to practice the side you feel is more troublesome, otherwise you'll just continue to have the glitch in your stroke without opportunity to imrove it.
I mix the 3 beat side up so that over a 10 minute swim I have taken an equal number of long strokes on the left and right, regardless of which side I am breathing.

Long term I think it has two benefits.

1. It can help to regain focus and mindfulness mid length if you feel your stroke is getting short or scrappy on one side at a given SR

2. It can give you an oxygen recovery in a longer open water race without penalising your progress too much? if you were to throw in a few 3 beats on the breathing side mid race.
Old 10-03-2011
Coach

CoachSuzanne

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyinnorway View Post
I mix the 3 beat side up so that over a 10 minute swim I have taken an equal number of long strokes on the left and right, regardless of which side I am breathing.

Long term I think it has two benefits.

1. It can help to regain focus and mindfulness mid length if you feel your stroke is getting short or scrappy on one side at a given SR

2. It can give you an oxygen recovery in a longer open water race without penalising your progress too much? if you were to throw in a few 3 beats on the breathing side mid race.
I can see where you are coming from and agree that it's a much better (calming) solution than to practice struggling for air. But I still think that it will limit the long term development of a sound whole stroke.

In case #2, during your practice, rather I should say, during my practice, I work on timing my breathing pattern (2, 3, 4 or even a hybrid) with the metabolic demands of the pace that I am swimming so that I if I need more air, I switch to breathing every 2 strokes (Sun Yang breathed on occasion EVERY stroke during his world record setting 1500m swim), rather than inturrupting my swimming rhythm.

I think the danger in inturrupting the rhythm is that during teh "3 beat" stroke, you'll begin decellerating as compared to the "2 beat" stroke at your same tempo setting. Accelerating requires energy...so I think you are adaptign to an ineffecient stroke rather than making your current stroke more efficient...which should be the ultimate goal.
Fresh Freestyle