Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Outside the Box: Open Water Swimming
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-15-2011

saadbox13
Default Lake George Swim 2.5K, 5K and 10K

I just signed up for the 2.5K and 5K Lake George swim http://www.lakegeorgeswim.com (August 27th)

Considering that the 2.5K and 5K are back to back with only an hour rest I am seeking some advice on how to train for this and what I should be focusing on in the next 2 weeks....

Thanks in advance

S

Last edited by saadbox13 : 08-15-2011 at 08:35 PM. Reason: typos
Old 08-16-2011

Scotty
Default Just returned from Hague Public Beach

Saad:

I can't give you advice on training for back-to back events, but in mid-July my wife and I vacationed in Hague. Our cottage was about 100 yards from the City's public beach where you will be swimming!

I swam every day, and the temperature was high 70 degrees, but that was in the midst of a heat wave. About 200 yards out the water was only 5 feet deep, and about 3-4 feet deep in the swimming area. Swimming in water that shallow really bothered me, and seaweed on the goggles was an issue.

If you have never been to Hague, the commercial part of the town is tiny. I'm surprised they can accommodate a race. But the people are friendly. Enjoy your time there and best wishes on your races.

Scott
Old 08-17-2011

KatieK

Two weeks is not much time. If I were you, I would do one long swim as soon as you can (like today)--5K or a little longer if you have time. For the rest of this week, follow your normal training routine.

Next week should be a rest week. Cut your normal yardage in half for the first part of the week. For the rest of the week, maybe swim 8x100 on :30 rest, 5x100 on :30 rest, and then stay out of the pool.

One hour between races is plenty of time to recover. Make sure you eat and drink during that time, and stay in the shade if you can. Easily digestible carbs are your best bet. Protein and fat can upset your stomach.

Good luck, and let us know how it goes.
Old 08-18-2011

saadbox13

@Scotty, thanks for the message - I have been to Lake George a few times but have not been to Hague, I did not realize that the water was that shallow but I will do a trial swim the day before

@Katiek, Thanks for the note and practice sets suggestion. You are right there isn't much time left. I was planning to do 2 long swims, one tomorrow and one on the weekend. I will definitely take it easy next week. I'll keep you posted

Cheers,

S