Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Freestyle
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-12-2011

BradMM
Default goggles or mask

Sorry, I didn't know where else to post this. I need to replace my goggles and the SEAL mask is not that much more. I've seen pics with Terry wearing a mask but I don't remember where he was swimming. Would this be appropriate for lap swimming or only open water?

Thanks,

Brad
Old 08-14-2011

Alex-SG

Hi Brad,

I'd say...

If you swim in the pool, go for Goggles only
If you swim open water, either one. Some go for masks because you get more 180deg visibility

I suggest to try both. I started out with a Mask in Open Water and then went back to "wide Goggles". ALEX
Old 08-14-2011

dshen

i don't think there is a hard and fast rule. Certainly you get more visibility with a mask. However, for me, it was fit that decided it for me. Masks have never sealed up completely on my face and there was always water leaking in. So I swim with goggles no matter what. My favorites are the Aquasphere Kaiman goggles and they work amazingly well and I have never felt that I needed more visibility with them.

So try both in OW. Make sure the mask fits your face well with no leaks (and goggles can leak too dependent on the manufacturer versus your face shape). See which one you like best and go for it!
Old 08-14-2011

BradMM

Thanks for your feedback! I'm too cheap to spend $25 just to try a mask so I'm sticking with goggles. I've heard the downside about leaking too many times. If I start doing open water (very possible but not yet likely), then maybe I'll try the mask.

Thanks!
Old 08-14-2011

sterlingtimes

I have tried all varieties and still have trouble with water ingress.

The only 100% dry googles I have are some very cheap ones from Aldi. I am setting up small stock for the future.

Price is not a good indicator of quality when it comes to goggles.

Last edited by sterlingtimes : 08-15-2011 at 11:14 AM.
Old 08-14-2011

Richardsk

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingtimes View Post
I have tried all varieties and still have trouble with water ingress.

The only 100% dry googles I have are some very cheap ones from Aldi. I am setting up small stock for the future.

Price is not a good indicator of quality when it comes to goggle.

As far as I can see, the shape of your face is the determining factor. I find that cheap Swedish type goggles are best for practice, but for competition I like my Zoggs goggles, which have plenty of suction and often manage to stay on in spite of my poor dive technique. Zoggs are an Australian outfit, I believe, but they are well represented in the UK. I don't know about the USA and other far-off lands.
Old 08-14-2011

saadbox13

I used all types of goggles this past year and always switched back to using my cheap Sweedish goggles, no matter how many times I tried masks, or wide goggles etc... IMO water conditions should not dictate what type of goggles one uses, you just need to stick with what works best for you.
Old 08-15-2011

cynthiam

I'm still looking for goggles that work really well for me.

The ones I like best so far are Tyr Nest Pro's. Not much peripheral vision, but at least they're comfortable and fit my narrow face, deep-set eyes, and large nose bridge.

I have a pair of expensive Sables, too. When I get them on just perfectly, they're great. Unfortunately, 90% of the time I can't get them just right. And they don't have much peripheral vision.

Swedish are great for peripheral vision but they're not comfortable for me. I have a pair with a little bit of padding & still don't like them. My right eye socket must be unusually shaped because goggles always leak on that side.

I've tried 2 masks, Aquasphere lady (Kaiman?) and another which I can't remember. They either suctioned too hard or leaked.

Anyone know of a place where I could get a pair that are custom fitted? Meaning, that they'd take a measurement of my eye sockets, nose bridge, etc, and fashion a pair?
Old 08-15-2011

Mike from NS

What works for me is the aquagoggle from www.aquagoggle.com. These have a blue tint, soft silicone frame, lenses to suit your eyeglass prescription .... all for the low price of around $25 +/- I have no leaking problems, the anti fog coating lasted a full year before needing to use any anti fog treatments. I heard of them through a post on these forums ~~ and glad I did.
Old 08-15-2011

borate

Quote:
Originally Posted by cynthiam View Post
I'm still looking for goggles that work really well for me. Anyone know of a place where I could get a pair that are custom fitted? Meaning, that they'd take a measurement of my eye sockets, nose bridge, etc, and fashion a pair?
http://www.skylinenw.com/

Many styles (prescription, anti-fog, etc), adjustable/replaceable straps, nose bridge and pads - regular and thick, for those of us with deep sockets.

Not quite custom: you're in SF and they're in Portland. Phone them and talk it over. 800-547-8664
Takes a bit to get the goggles to conform to facial contours, but once that's done they usually work well. I've worn them for fifteen years.

Last edited by borate : 08-15-2011 at 02:12 AM.