Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Swim Your Way to Health
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-23-2011
Head Coach

terry has disabled reputation
Default Anyone can be a "World Class Improver"

I used the term "world class improver" in the body and title of my latest blog How to Be a World Class Improver: Mindfulness and Visual Input. Virtually in the moment I typed it, I realized it had great potential to inspire aspiration and expand one's sense of the possible.

For years, I've carried on a debate with myself over whether I could claim to have become a 'world class swimmer.' By the conventional definition, clearly not. World Class 1500m freestylers swim sub-15 minutes. I'd be delighted to get within shouting distance of 20 minutes.

But I argued back that, by diligent and decades-long effort I had increased my efficiency (eliminated wastefulness) from the 3 percent range typical of humans to - I immodestly believed - somewhere north of 8 percent. And world class swimmers are 9 percent plus. This kind of efficiency is devilishly hard to measure but I imagined that if I were 6 feet 6 inches tall, slim, strong and supple, 25 years old, with large hands and feet and the kind of scapular range of motion that permits EVF, what are the chances my efficiency could convert into a sub-15 minute 1500?

That suggested there should be an expansion of world class that could recognize people who had rigorously eliminated energy waste, yet happened to be 60+ or 5 feet 2 inches or both. And many others as well.

But the category World Class Improver suggests the most inclusive and universally-meaningful designation.

May your laps be as happy as mine.

My TI Story