Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Swim Your Way to Health
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-25-2010

ewa.swimmer
Lightbulb Knee surgery

After many, many years of problems with my knees I had a patellofemoral arthroplasty. At first the doctor said not to soak the wound (no swimming) for at least 4 - 5 weeks. He was concerned with infection and protection of the knee joint.
I bought a full leg cover (DryPro) to keep the wound dry. I found it very interesting that the doctor and almost everyone I talked to (not TI people) thought that it was not possible to swim without kicking. I know that I can swim with very quiet, streamlined legs. At the pool I swim in it is possible for me to have the lane (sometimes the whole pool) to myself.
With my husband as my driver and equipment manager I went swimming 4 days after surgery (no pain meds). It felt very good to be in the pool. The leg cover kept my foot flexed and I had to keep the knee slightly bent to be comfortable. I have a new appreciation for those people whose ankles have become less flexible and then try to learn to swim.
The leg position, the weight of the cover, and the fact that I had to stand up at the end of each length and couldn't push off cost me 5-7 SPL. I ended up with a 2 beat kick without working on it. My good leg just did 2 gentle toe flicks instead of one.
One more week and I can go without the cover.
Old 09-25-2010

naj

EWA, take care of that knee and give it the right amount of time to heal. I'll see you on the beach!

Naji
Old 09-25-2010

haschu33

I think this is great news!
And very encouraging. As we all grow older. And I do have problems with my knee.

By that name ewa.swimmer I assume that is not your name but you are located in Hawaii. Ewa Beach? (Never been to Hawai, unfortunately). Which means when you swim you propably swim outdoors. I think there is nothing better to recover from illnesses or operations than moving in fresh air. Doctors have to be very carefull, they got no choice as they get easily sued these days.

I think you are doing great. Good to hear that there are waterproof leg covers. You never know.

All the best for you and your knee!