Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Freestyle
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-30-2010

sathishm
Default Should I continue my workout with Masters Team as usual as my Free Style workshop is

Should I continue my workout with Masters Team as usual as my Free Style workshop is on Sep 18th, or skip for a month???

I am new to swimming; I started with group swimming classes in 2009. I picked up the book Easy free Style on Jan 29th, 2010 that changed everything, and the ignition happened. Freestyle workshop was not available in Los Angles when I want to take it in February, so I took regular swim classes and used the DVD, and joined the Master Swim in April.
My Swimming is improved, and I practice the TI drills when I am not swimming with Masters.
My Masters team doesn’t know anything about TI. My TI and swimming got better in last month as I did more practice of TI with Tempo trainer.
With Masters I do work out. Swimming on my own I work on improvement. Swimming alone also I am enjoying as I work on the technique and tempo.
For September skip the Master as I am close the workshop? Or it doesn’t matter.

Last edited by sathishm : 08-30-2010 at 08:43 PM. Reason: Work shop date missed in the edit.
Old 08-30-2010

LennartLarsson

Don't worry about the workshop, just continue to swim. I am sure you will have to change a few things, that your coaches will notice at the workshop, but should it be that you already have less efficient habits, they will not disappear by resting. Swim and be happy!

Lennart
Old 08-30-2010

sathishm

I will be swimming even without working with Masters Team. With Masters Team it is more of a work out. Swimming on my own it is practice the technique and work with tempo trainer.
I am 5'6'' tall.
With tempo trainer I am doing workouts
1.30 tempo– I am doing 25 yards in 13 strokes.
1.40 tempo - I am doing 25 yards in 12 strokes 50% of the time and 13 strokes in 50% of the time.
1.00 tempo – I am doing 17 strokes.
I can work on technique for next few weeks as I like working on freestyle.
I like Masters work out also as it get me opportunity to work with other swimmers and other strokes.
The issues with Masters is,
1) During sprints I tend to lose the compact recovery of TI.
2) The focus changes from improvement oriented to performance oriented as I want to hit the time.
3) Little difficult to do TI swim in pulling drills.

Last edited by sathishm : 08-31-2010 at 01:09 AM.
Old 09-09-2010

elskbrev

You didn't say what type of TI workshop you wanted to sign up for. Seems to me that with as much swimming experience and TI knowledge you already have, your money would be better spent with a few one on one swim lessons with a good coach who has at least some knowledge of TI. Often, those who train triathaletes know something of TI. Cindy
Old 09-20-2010

LBRoberts

I find that every time I swim, I discover something new about my swimming. And I think that variety is good so I'd say stick with the Masters in addiiton to your other swimming. You'll learn stuff during your sets as long as you concentrate on your swimming during those sets.

masters swimming is great. I love the competitive buzz. Sure, lots of Masters clubs aren't big on TI but when I swam with Masters regularly (and I intend to again) I simply told my coach I wasn't going to use a kickboard or pull buoys and I was going to do skating (with fins to keep up) instead of kicking, and I do triple zippers on the pull sets. My coach was cool about it.
Old 09-21-2010
Head Coach

terry has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by sathishm View Post
The issues with Masters is,
1) During sprints I tend to lose the compact recovery of TI.
2) The focus changes from improvement oriented to performance oriented as I want to hit the time.
3) Little difficult to do TI swim in pulling drills.
You took your workshop this past weekend so I'm curious to learn what you now believe is the best way to maximize the value of your learning experience, coming out of the workshop.
As for the issues you note in Masters, here are my suggestions
1) On the sprints do one of the following: (i) Prior to the set, determine a maximum stroke count you'll use. Then swim as fast as you can . . . on that stroke count. If you feel a bit rushed or rough, lower your SPL limit by 1 and see if the feeling of efficiency improves; or (ii) swim as fast as possible SILENTLY.
2) Rather than focus on hitting a peculiar time, focus on executing your chosen Stroke Thought more consistently -- every single stroke of the repeat - or more precisely. That should result in a faster repeat - without "trying" to swim faster. I call that Voodoo Speed and find it far more valuable than "trying harder" speed.
3) When the coach gives a pulling set, leave the buoy on the pool deck. Instead do your pulling set as a "minimized kicking" set instead. On pushoffs try to hold streamlined legs farther off the wall - or possibly right to the surface. Once you begin stroking keep focus on streamlining your legs, on getting them to "draft behind" your upper body. Or be observant of how much your feet separate and try to reduce.

May your laps be as happy as mine.

My TI Story