Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Swim Your Way to Health
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-09-2010

ewa.swimmer
Default Waterproof Me Please

In Sept. I will have kneecap replacement surgery. The doctor says the wound should not get soaked for 6 weeks. It seems to me that the knee joint should be an easy one to wrap to keep dry. Anyone have any experience with this? Plastic wrap and duct tape?
Old 07-09-2010

westyswoods

EWA,
I wish there was a solution for you, the simple answer is heed your surgeons advice. There are several reasons you need to be extremely cautious of this wound vs a normal cut or scrap. DO NOT TAKE CHANCES. I hope Coach Suzanne jumps in on this. I will say that six weeks sounds like the outer time frame for wound healing and there may be an issue with internal healing as well.

A quick example of trying to protect a wound from water: I crashed on the bike last week pretty good road rash and I stayed out of the water for three days until the wounds were healed enough to cover and wrap. My right forearm was wrapped in syran wrap bandaged covered again and taped. Covered with a wetsuit and after a forty minute OWS, water had gotten into the dressing. Mind you there was no joint involved here which should make it much easier. There is a difference in waterproofing for a shower and swimming also.

Good luck and be patient.

Westy
Old 07-09-2010

haschu33

I don't want to object Westys, but I am more on the lightweight side. Always went into the shower, and so on, sometimes a plastic-bag taped around a wound, walked with my casts as if they where shoes... Outer wounds don't take 6 weeks to heal, they are a lot faster. If you are not a bleeder. Once they are closed, they are closed. But I would worry more about the knee itself: You don't want to come in a situation where you will automatically use your knee as if it is ok and move it more than it is capable of. That will not only hurt. I would go with the knees capability of movement. I guess this will go it's own course anyway.

But: You definitely do not want to have an infection in your knee!

So don't worry, it will work out anyway. Good luck!
Old 07-11-2010

KatieK

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewa.swimmer View Post
In Sept. I will have kneecap replacement surgery. The doctor says the wound should not get soaked for 6 weeks. It seems to me that the knee joint should be an easy one to wrap to keep dry. Anyone have any experience with this? Plastic wrap and duct tape?
Bummer! I agree with Westy. Soaking a deep wound like that is a major risk for infection. And, it's not just the wound that can get infected--it can get into the bone. An infection on a knee replacement could be a disaster. (Since I haven't seen a response from Suzanne on this, I got a consult from my husband. He said all this much more eloquently.)
Old 07-11-2010

ewa.swimmer
Default Maybe found something

Thanks for everyone's input.
I've found something called "Dry Pro Bandage Protector" that is used primarily for cast protection but also can be used for wound protection. Helps patients begin hydrotherapy right away and lets people enjoy their vacations. I wouldn't use it for racing. Besides soaking the wound I wouldn't want to worry about getting kicked. I just can't see myself out of the water for a month and a half if at all possible. I'll bring the info to my doctor and see what he says.