Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Outside the Box: Open Water Swimming
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-04-2010

ewa.swimmer
Default Now?

Background: at our masters practice there are 8 lanes. Lane 1 is the fastest swimmers and lane 8 is the slowest. Lanes 1 - 4 are the very serious swimmers mostly triathletes. I swim in lane 5, the fastest of the "fitness swimmers."

Today was the Hapuna Roughwater Race. A 1 mile race here on the Big Island. I took 80th overall (out of about 200). I felt good about my swim. Several swimmers that swim in the faster lanes were surprised that I beat them, sometimes by a big margin. I know they don't understand that efficiency trumps power in longer races everytime.

My quandry: Should I push myself a bit and move to a faster lane (shorter intervals) or stay where I'm comfortable? I practice in the ocean 4 days a week and in the pool twice a week.
Old 07-05-2010

KatieK
Default Go for it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewa.swimmer View Post
Background: at our masters practice there are 8 lanes. Lane 1 is the fastest swimmers and lane 8 is the slowest. Lanes 1 - 4 are the very serious swimmers mostly triathletes. I swim in lane 5, the fastest of the "fitness swimmers."

Today was the Hapuna Roughwater Race. A 1 mile race here on the Big Island. I took 80th overall (out of about 200). I felt good about my swim. Several swimmers that swim in the faster lanes were surprised that I beat them, sometimes by a big margin. I know they don't understand that efficiency trumps power in longer races everytime.

My quandry: Should I push myself a bit and move to a faster lane (shorter intervals) or stay where I'm comfortable? I practice in the ocean 4 days a week and in the pool twice a week.
Congratulations on your race and on having such a nice dilemma! I would vote for moving up to the faster lane. I doubt you will have a hard time keeping up--you are already beating some of those people in open water races. You can always move back down if you don't like it.

I think of myself as more Delicate Flower than Athlete. My instinct is to keep my pace *well* within my comfort zone. But, I've been pleasantly surprised at how much fun it is to really push myself once or twice a week at Masters practice.
Old 07-05-2010

naj

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatieK View Post
Congratulations on your race and on having such a nice dilemma! I would vote for moving up to the faster lane. I doubt you will have a hard time keeping up--you are already beating some of those people in open water races. You can always move back down if you don't like it.

I think of myself as more Delicate Flower than Athlete. My instinct is to keep my pace *well* within my comfort zone. But, I've been pleasantly surprised at how much fun it is to really push myself once or twice a week at Masters practice.
I agree with Katie, EWA, your already a good ow swimmer now you can be faster by speeding up your tempo. But remember not to let speed come at the expense of solid TI technique.
Old 07-05-2010
Head Coach

terry has disabled reputation

I also agree with Katie. Her instinct to challenge herself - and possibly others as well - once or twice a week is right on. It's those faster practices that lead to adaptation. When you decide to pick certain practices to intensify, then use the others even more mindfully both for higher level technique and physical restoration.
One option would be to swim in a faster lane, and do a bit of racing there, once or twice a week, then return to your usual lane and dial back the effort level, dial up the efficiency focus, and try to "win" that lane while swimming at a very controlled pace.

May your laps be as happy as mine.

My TI Story