Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Freestyle
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-09-2010

sbechtel78
Default Need help !!!!!!!!

I just can't seem to get anything to feel comfortable anymore. I think I'm getting overwhelmed by everything that I'm trying to learn. When I swim in the pool I finally feel comfortable in the last 3 strokes then I have to stop to go the other way....when I'm in open water I forget everything!

I feel stupid asking this question....but when you start the kick and initiate the hip drive do you push your leg downward towards the bottom of the pool or do you initiate the hip drive first and then kick leg upwards toward the surface of the pool to finish the rotation? I can't even explain what's happening to me in the water when I try to drive my hip..... If I flutter kick I can't seem to drive with the hip, but if I try to focus on a 2BK I end up feeling like I'm fighting the water and hardly moving. My OW tri-swim is in 18 days and I feel like I'm going backwards instead of forward (both literally and figuratively). I have all the TI products, I have taken 2 seminars and am currently in a swim class. Oh, another issue that I've discovered is that I'm now feeling tense in my neck and shoulders......"help!!!!" Thanks for any advice you can give me.....
Old 06-09-2010

RadSwim

Kick down to drive the hip on the same side up. The kick (down) initiates the kinetic chain.

Are you bending your knee more than 15 or 20 degrees? If so, practice kicking with a straighter leg.

See any of the multiple TI publications for details.

Last edited by RadSwim : 06-09-2010 at 05:22 PM.
Old 06-09-2010

cmperkins

I still haven't mastered a 2BK and have actually stopped consciously focusing on my kick - letting it find its own rhythm and I'll come back to trying the 2BK when the rest of the stroke feels more fluid.

I was conscious of kicking down to drive the hip up, but the imagery that works for me is thinking of my hips (I actually think of the boney edges of my pelvis) as being like pedals on a bicycle.

So I think of my high hip as being at the top of the pedal cycle and 'rolling' it forward and down whilst the other hip is 'pedalling' back and up. This seems to help me connect the forward rolling motion of the hip to the spearing arm and my legs are just trailling behind. They seem to form a flutter kick by the rotation of the hips rather than consciously kicking them.

Hope that helps a little.

Chris.
Old 06-09-2010

Rincewind

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbechtel78 View Post
I just can't seem to get anything to feel comfortable anymore. I think I'm getting overwhelmed by everything that I'm trying to learn. When I swim in the pool I finally feel comfortable in the last 3 strokes then I have to stop to go the other way....when I'm in open water I forget everything!

I feel stupid asking this question....but when you start the kick and initiate the hip drive do you push your leg downward towards the bottom of the pool or do you initiate the hip drive first and then kick leg upwards toward the surface of the pool to finish the rotation? I can't even explain what's happening to me in the water when I try to drive my hip..... If I flutter kick I can't seem to drive with the hip, but if I try to focus on a 2BK I end up feeling like I'm fighting the water and hardly moving. My OW tri-swim is in 18 days and I feel like I'm going backwards instead of forward (both literally and figuratively). I have all the TI products, I have taken 2 seminars and am currently in a swim class. Oh, another issue that I've discovered is that I'm now feeling tense in my neck and shoulders......"help!!!!" Thanks for any advice you can give me.....
Sounds like this tri swim is imporant to you, so maybe you should just relax and forget about technique for a while and just focus on fitness to make sure you can go the distance. Swim in whatever way you can as long as you can finish. Just accept that there is not much you can change in 18 days. Then after the tri, start working on your technique again for the next event.