Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Freestyle
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-01-2010
Banned

Lawrence

I've held off commenting here as I am a sinner: I don't do TI drills of any kind. My practice is doing single lengths with a particular focal point.

That said, I'm interested that so many posters feel the need to work on balance.

So here's my tuppence worth, with apologies if I've missed the point.

I used to become unbalanced. I found the cause to be that I was spearing with my recovering arm to a point inside the shoulder line. Once I made sure that the recovering arm entered the water on a wide track and stayed on that wide track as it speared downwards and forwards to its target, my balance problems disappeared.

In case useful.
Old 02-02-2010

krzych

When Shinji swims he places the leading hand a little bit downwards (on 3:30 or 4 o'clock).
But I noticed that when he does the "Superman glide" drill his armes are in a horizontal position (on 3 o'clock).
I'm wondering why ?
The reason for doing the Superman glide is to learn the correct position of the arm which makes the body horizontal.
But I think that his arm position is different in the drill than in the full stroke.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wsL6-rAWcLw
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DmTkEwawPSw

I can find 2 reasons which can partly explain this difference.

1. In "Superman glide" drill more weight is shifted forward than in the full stroke (both armes are placed forward instead of just one).
So in the full stroke it is needed to put the arm deeper.

2. When you change the position from "Superman glide" to skating,
the body rotates and the leading arm gets deeper because its shoulder gets deeper.

Being aware of that I'm not convinced that Shinji does not change his arm position when he moves from "Superman glide" to skating.
And if he does what are the benefits from the drill ?
Should the angle between the body and the arm be the same in "Superman glide" and skating ?
Old 02-02-2010

elk-tamer

I tried this last night and I think it's a good "next step" from the superman glide. I didn't have a hard time doing "something", but my legs certainly drop fast as soon as I finish the pull. That's what I ended up working on: trying to get a glide without the legs dropping and then swimming a length with a bit of legless skate on every stroke.
Is that what people mean by getting one's weight forward?
Old 02-04-2010

westyswoods

Tried short repeats of this again last evening. When leading with left hand/arm spear it was like someone wanted to cork screw my body to the right and I found core shaping to U. As long as there was some momentum from push off it was somewhat achievable. I am only talking 1 or 2 seconds here than balance wanted to twist clockwise. If I used a slight flutter kick it was maintainable. The right side was much easier and could hold without kicking for much greater time until momentum really slowed down. I did find that after several repeats I was feeling a nano more steady. Plan on trying again this evening, very revealing as to the unbalance I have right vs left. Coach Shane pointed it out in a video coaching session, but I never realized it was to the degree it is. Just another piece of the puzzle. Any input to this will be greatly appreciated.

Westy