Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Freestyle
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-29-2010

ames
Default Shinji's No-Kick Skating

Found this little gem this morning: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fz-46...eature=channel
and tried it out at the pool today. He does Superman Glide into skating position. Harder than it looks! I didn't realize I wobbled so much. In doing skating drills I've always kicked fairly hard to keep myself moving but didn't realize that in doing so I was masking my imbalance. Slowed my kick way down to almost nothing and learned to be much more steady, both side to side and up and down. I think that is why Shinji looks so smoooooth... his body is so still. A great lesson.
ames
Old 01-29-2010

splashingpat

Quote:
Originally Posted by ames View Post

Found this little gem this morning:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fz-46...eature=channel
and tried it out at the pool today.

He does Superman Glide into skating position. Harder than it looks!
I did n't realize I wobbled so much. In doing skating drills
I've always kicked fairly hard to keep myself moving

but

did n't realize that in doing so I was masking my imbalance.
Slowed my kick way down to almost nothing and
learned to be much more steady,
both side to side and
up and down.

I think that is why Shinji looks so smoooooth... his body is so still.
A great lesson.
ames
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DmTkEwawPSw&NR=1

i thnk the only part of the body OUT OF THE WATER is the arm
is n't it?
splash'n' at ya's but no splash'n is better ai n't it?

thanks again ames!
i could n't say it better than the students...
and that is just the way IT is!

Last edited by splashingpat : 01-29-2010 at 08:38 PM.
Old 01-29-2010

rajsenthil
Default is it for rotational balance?

Quote:
Found this little gem this morning: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fz-46...eature=channel
and tried it out at the pool today. He does Superman Glide into skating position. Harder than it looks! I didn't realize I wobbled so much. In doing skating drills I've always kicked fairly hard to keep myself moving but didn't realize that in doing so I was masking my imbalance. Slowed my kick way down to almost nothing and learned to be much more steady, both side to side and up and down. I think that is why Shinji looks so smoooooth... his body is so still. A great lesson.
ames
I found that yesterday and practiced today morning. Though it looks easy, I shoot off when tried to do the right side skating (as Terry shows in spear switch). I remember watching the same kind of drill in older version "Freestyle made easy" but never tried. I think this is good to check the balance and optimal rotation. I guess this is what called as rotational balance in this post by don_h. It would be helpful if someone could share their thoughts. Thanks.
Old 01-29-2010

rajsenthil

Sorry if I am not clear, my English is not that good. I feel that by self-learning, we try to connect the pieces to understand what the drill is for. There is a caption in this video, which I did not understand. Also I tried to read the old post by don_h and connect it with this video to make sense.
Old 01-30-2010

ames

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajsenthil View Post
I found that yesterday and practiced today morning. Though it looks easy, I shoot off when tried to do the right side skating (as Terry shows in spear switch). I remember watching the same kind of drill in older version "Freestyle made easy" but never tried. I think this is good to check the balance and optimal rotation. I guess this is what called as rotational balance in this post by don_h. It would be helpful if someone could share their thoughts. Thanks.
Yes, I think this is exactly what don h was referring to in his post. Thanks for making that connection, I had read that post before but it all makes a lot more sense today after doing the exercise. I did some switches with my improved balance and understand now what don says about being still right before the kick to get more out of it. It is like hitting a baseball or just about any sports movement--harder to do if you are a little off-balance and not "set." I felt more in control than I ever have. Really, really slow, but in control.
ames
Old 01-30-2010
dinah

Quote:
Shinji looks so smoooooth... his body is so still. A great lesson.
ames
smooth is right! very inspiring - thankyou!
Old 01-31-2010

pepperr

I tried this drill out today and it wasn't all that hard. Despite my discouragement from my lack of "feeling in the zone" in whole stroke swimming, this exercise wasn't as tough as some made it to be. I pushed off the wall and switched into skate position. The hardest part was my body began to bend after a while, where as the ideal is to remain straight(sorry, don't mean to patronize).

I not concerned with the wobbling( I am pretty sure I didnt' feel any) but I'm planning to try it again today to see if I remain straight at the end.
Old 01-31-2010

oklibrarian

Wow! I've been wanting to change up my balance drills a bit, and I think this might fit the bill. This is why I subscribe to Shinji's youtube channel--very inspiring stuff!
Old 01-31-2010

westyswoods

I tried this drill yesterday and found it to be extremely difficult. Agreed I was able to get some form immediately after push off, but the ability to hold when slowing down or stopped forget it. The body bend was very evident. Still a nice variation for balance drills.

Westy
Old 02-01-2010

rgiven
Default the norm for weak kickers!

Maybe I'm not alone amongst the weak kickers in that this dill is a key one in my practice, very useful, even if not originally carried out for the right motivation on my part. For me repeats of this drill and very very slow whole stroke has really helped my balance.