Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > O2 in H20: Breathing Skills
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-23-2010

Grant

Quote:
Originally Posted by gogglesnoseplugs View Post
Thanks for the suggestions pertaining to care of the suit, yet I have looked at some clearance stuff and it is still $20 or so. Therefore, since I rather not spend $20 and then not like the suit, I just threw the request out there after a couple folks were so encouraging.
Another point that has not been covered re suits. When you do make the move for a jammer be sure that you get one that feels really tight when you are trying it on for a fitting. I made that mistake recently and settled for a size 36 which after swimming in it became quite loose and my times were off. Wrinkles in the legs and such. Bit the bullet and bought a size 34 which did feel really tight and it has stayed tight fitting and my times came back down.
Also I think the jammers are best at reducing drag.
So - buy the tightest you can get into and slink into the pool. :o)
Old 03-23-2010

gogglesnoseplugs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant View Post
Another point that has not been covered re suits. When you do make the move for a jammer be sure that you get one that feels really tight when you are trying it on for a fitting. I made that mistake recently and settled for a size 36 which after swimming in it became quite loose and my times were off. Wrinkles in the legs and such. Bit the bullet and bought a size 34 which did feel really tight and it has stayed tight fitting and my times came back down.
Also I think the jammers are best at reducing drag.
So - buy the tightest you can get into and slink into the pool. :o)
Grant-

Thanks for the tip... Yet, I'm going to hang with the board shorts for now until resources become available, if I am going to have to buy a suit.
Old 03-23-2010

ames

Quote:
Originally Posted by gogglesnoseplugs View Post
Ames-

I never really thought about that, but now that you mention it, I am slicing in at 11:00 to noon (left arm) and noon to 1:00 (right arm) sweeping or sculling directly below my torso. That pulls the "low side" of my body toward the bottom. That forces me to rotate that 135 degrees. Thanks for the insight, and I'll give your suggestion a try when I go to the pool next.
"3:00" refers to the vertical axis, not the horizontal axis. It means that when you extend your hand after it enters the water, it goes straight out, rather than angled more towards the bottom of the pool (this would be 4:00 or 5:00). Angling deeper helps to keep your hips and legs up but also tends to pull your head too deep to breathe easily. Is your head underwater when you swim? It shouldn't be completely submerged.

What you are referring to by "11:00" is the horizontal axis or the "tracks" that your arms follow. Keeping wider tracks may help your breathing problem too. Doing so will prevent you from over-rotating and sinking as a result. Try a few laps focussing on keeping your tracks at shoulder width or just outside shoulder width and see what happens. Hope this helps.
ames
Old 03-23-2010

gogglesnoseplugs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ames View Post
"3:00" refers to the vertical axis, not the horizontal axis. It means that when you extend your hand after it enters the water, it goes straight out, rather than angled more towards the bottom of the pool (this would be 4:00 or 5:00). Angling deeper helps to keep your hips and legs up but also tends to pull your head too deep to breathe easily. Is your head underwater when you swim? It shouldn't be completely submerged.

What you are referring to by "11:00" is the horizontal axis or the "tracks" that your arms follow. Keeping wider tracks may help your breathing problem too. Doing so will prevent you from over-rotating and sinking as a result. Try a few laps focussing on keeping your tracks at shoulder width or just outside shoulder width and see what happens. Hope this helps.
ames
My head is pretty much level and my ears are splitting the surface for the most part, yet my head does bob down from time to time. Should I look more ahead instead of downward to correct some of this?

When I refer to 11:00, I mean my hand slices in just slightly off parallel from the imaginary line connecting my hips with my shoulders, then I scull through to come out at 8:00. This is looking at the "clock" as if the water's surface was the clock face, and you are viewing from above. I slice and pull through directly under my "downside" so essentially I am rotating my body 80 to 90 degrees while kicking. I am beginning to scratch my head as I explain this, and think to myself that I think I now know where to go from here regarding to technical/physical stuff. I will take all of your suggestions into consideration along with thinking about keeping my torso more parallel with the bottom (40 degrees instead of 80).
Old 03-23-2010

naj
Default Video

Goggles, I know cash is tight for you right now but if you have a friend that can videotape you while your swimming it would give us all a better idea of where your at with your drills and whole stroke. I do hope your able to find a speedo or jammers either as a gift or from a friend because it will make a difference and in defense of this I would say since - I assuming - you haven't tried them before how would you know if they would aid in streamline or not?

Good Luck!
Naji
Old 03-23-2010

gogglesnoseplugs

Quote:
Originally Posted by naj View Post
Goggles, I know cash is tight for you right now but if you have a friend that can videotape you while your swimming it would give us all a better idea of where your at with your drills and whole stroke. I do hope your able to find a speedo or jammers either as a gift or from a friend because it will make a difference and in defense of this I would say since - I assuming - you haven't tried them before how would you know if they would aid in streamline or not?

Good Luck!
Naji
I'll see if I can get some video footage... that is providing I can borrow a friend's or family member's camera.

I believe you when you say Speedos will be beneficial. I'll just stick with board shorts until I get the resources.
Old 03-23-2010

haschu33

Just for some consolidation on the bathing suit issue: that, what you call 'speedo briefs' is the normal and traditional swim wear here in Germany, and I believe in most of the European countries. So men (=males) will wear speedo briefs regardless of age, belly size or whatever you might want to hold against it. So, welcome in the club! Board shorts are mainly worn by young folks, and they do become a little more popular.
As Coach Susanne said:
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachSuzanne View Post
...but...it's a swimming pool...
That's the point, just forget about the rest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PASA View Post
I'd get a Speedo Endurance fabric suit - jammer or brief. Jammer would be best for modesty (that's what I wear). The fabric lasts much longer than typical suits.
Absolute agreement on the Speedo Endurance fabric, that is great! (but not particularly cheap).
What's a jammer, by the way, I couldn't find any explanation? Is it the suits that look a little more square, meaning they have this little idea of legs unlike the briefs? If yes, I happen to wear one of those and they are really comfortable. And no drag. And need to be tight. Of course, swim wear always needs to be tight.

Otherwise gogglesxxx, what do you mean when you say 'weak left arm'? If you can stretch it out and move it back it's strong enough...

Last edited by haschu33 : 03-23-2010 at 08:58 AM.
Old 03-23-2010

westyswoods

gogglesnoseplugs,

It appears there are several issues you are dealing with. Lets take the first one of simple frustration in not achieving what you think is consistent improvement to swimming the TI way. I for one have been practicing TI for over two years and got to the exact same point you are now. It seemed no matter what I did improvement was elusive and if it did happen the feeling would not stay. Four months ago the decision was made to seek out one on one coaching. The need was for individual feedback that was not happening through self analysis. I have the financial resources to seek video coaching and then went to Lake Placid for five days in January. Both methods helped in that I was given focal points, little nuances that were hindering my progress.

I understand that all are not able to obtain this coaching, the point being there are other great options available from this forum. I am sure you know someone who has a video camera, shoot some good video footage of your swim and post on this website, the feedback you get will be invaluable. Take it a step farther and if you are self-conscious view the video without posting. Your perception of what is happening in the water is almost certainly not going to match reality.

Another option is post on this board and try to find a TI buddy in the area you can work with. The individual exchanges are great learning tools.

One thought that has not been talked about a great deal on this forum is focus. I just recently have gotten to the point, after two years, where my mental ability is able to stay on a single focal point while swimming. Focusing on specific points is much different in water than on land as we need air to survive and that is our primary focus when swimming. Ask yourself how intent you can stay with concentrating keeping a patient lead hand when doing switches. Pick a point, does you mind wander, (FOCUS ON FOCAL POINT).

What size waist do you have? I have several older suits you can have some are eaten by chlorine by I wear a speedo under a square leg so they work fine. My waist is 34-36. A tighter fitting suit will make a difference the modesty issue can be dealt with easily enough, just wear your trunks over the speedos to the pool and slip them off before entering the water and on after. Frankly no one is going to give a hoot other than you.

I hope some of the suggestions will help, keep at it, and if the suits will work let me know.

Have a Great Day
Westy
Old 03-23-2010

gogglesnoseplugs

Quote:
Originally Posted by westyswoods View Post
gogglesnoseplugs,

It appears there are several issues you are dealing with. Lets take the first one of simple frustration in not achieving what you think is consistent improvement to swimming the TI way. I for one have been practicing TI for over two years and got to the exact same point you are now. It seemed no matter what I did improvement was elusive and if it did happen the feeling would not stay. Four months ago the decision was made to seek out one on one coaching. The need was for individual feedback that was not happening through self analysis. I have the financial resources to seek video coaching and then went to Lake Placid for five days in January. Both methods helped in that I was given focal points, little nuances that were hindering my progress.

I understand that all are not able to obtain this coaching, the point being there are other great options available from this forum. I am sure you know someone who has a video camera, shoot some good video footage of your swim and post on this website, the feedback you get will be invaluable. Take it a step farther and if you are self-conscious view the video without posting. Your perception of what is happening in the water is almost certainly not going to match reality.

Another option is post on this board and try to find a TI buddy in the area you can work with. The individual exchanges are great learning tools.

One thought that has not been talked about a great deal on this forum is focus. I just recently have gotten to the point, after two years, where my mental ability is able to stay on a single focal point while swimming. Focusing on specific points is much different in water than on land as we need air to survive and that is our primary focus when swimming. Ask yourself how intent you can stay with concentrating keeping a patient lead hand when doing switches. Pick a point, does you mind wander, (FOCUS ON FOCAL POINT).

What size waist do you have? I have several older suits you can have some are eaten by chlorine by I wear a speedo under a square leg so they work fine. My waist is 34-36. A tighter fitting suit will make a difference the modesty issue can be dealt with easily enough, just wear your trunks over the speedos to the pool and slip them off before entering the water and on after. Frankly no one is going to give a hoot other than you.

I hope some of the suggestions will help, keep at it, and if the suits will work let me know.

Have a Great Day
Westy
Thanks for the advice, and I'll try to get some video. My waist is 34, but I have been told to step down because of the type of fit of the fabric. We can give the suits a go, though.
Old 03-23-2010

westyswoods

What is your mailing address?

Westy