Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Freestyle
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-05-2010

suelevin
Default Kicking (Or Not?)

Hi All,

Pretty new to TI. I had bought the video months ago but was only prompted to really sit down and watch it when an off duty coach hauled me into his lane and basically gave me the "over the barrel" speech. He was dying to smooth out my stroke and give me more power.

So began my real focus on TI.

I've been cruising the forums, especially liking the "wide, deep, patient mantra of Lawrence's. It seems to resonate.

My question is this: if you don't think about a kick will it just come naturally? Sometimes I find my best balancing is done when I simply do not kick at all. I lose speed, however, and get frustrated and put the kick back in. But I can't seem to click when to flick that foot exactly so I'm wondering if there's a way to get my brain to have it flick naturally and if *not* kicking at all will help? Sometimes I also do just a steady fast kick when I want speed--does that work or should it always be a flick?

Thoughts?

Thank you!
Old 03-05-2010
Banned

Lawrence

Sue, I learned the two-beat kick by forgetting about my legs entirely. I worked instead on getting the arms to do the right thing, combined with the body roll necessary to allow proper reaching when spearing.

It worked. I kick two-beat now without even thinking about it. All I have to do is focus on hand entry.

I tried the other way as well, that is, consciously thinking about what my feet were doing and trying to time deliberately the kicks with hand entries. It didn't work.

If relevant or comforting, I began TI a year ago with your typical 6-or-more beat kick, which was both exhausting and pointless since it wasn't connected to anything the other half of me was doing.

Last edited by Lawrence : 03-05-2010 at 04:13 PM.
Old 03-05-2010

squidboy72

yeah me too...... stop kicking for a while altogether and feel the roll and you will sort of feel where to add the kick. thenn you can apply i little more power once you get the timing feel... then blastoff! the kick adds so much to feeling awesome
Old 03-05-2010

sbechtel78

I can't get the two beat kick!!!! I'm not a real big kicker in general- I do a flutter, but I just can't get the power that I would get with the two beat kick. I've taken the seminar, I have the video, I have the book....I will keep practicing - I'm way more relaxed and don't get as tired, but I sure would like to get the two beat kick. I will try to do as Lawrence and SQ72 suggest.
Old 03-05-2010

suelevin
Default Thanks!

Lawrence and Squidboy--thanks--will forget about my legs--or at least try to!
Old 03-06-2010

Ken B
Default 2bk

If it's any help I have made my own 2bk breakthrough in the last month. I was fooling about in the middle of Lake Taupo and tried an exaggerated crosscrawl to get going and bring my feet to the surface. I rotated my body from the core and at the same time diagonally kicked and speared. It felt clumsy but powerful so I thrashed about enjoying it. Back in saltwater where I float liike a cork I started out the same but found that the exaggerated kick quickly settled to a tidy toe flick which was really just the end of a ripple down the leg from my hip drive. This coincided with the end of my spear and gave full extension. I hope I'm right but it feels so good and streamlined that I've been doing it every swim since. I see in Terry's latest blog that Dave has new way of teaching 2bk. I''ll be interested to see what it is.
All the best with your 2bk.
Ken
Old 03-08-2010

suelevin
Default Losing The Legs Worked Great!

Hi Guys,

Losing the legs worked like a charm. The two beat kick mostly kicked in. And more than anything I was able to really feel the hip drive.

I had a question though as I feel like I've got a dead or imbalanced spot in my stroke. When I breathe to my right I feel off balance or something--like the stroke goes a little wonky. I also don't feel any natural kick or flick from my foot like I do in every other part of my stroke. I played with it and found that if I flick my right foot, which I sort of need to do consciously, it balances me back out but is this correct if I'm breathing to my right? I am also playing with wide tracks and timing--trying to figure out why I am off balance in this one area.

Thoughts?

Thank yo!!

Sue
Old 03-08-2010
TI Coach

CoachEricDeSanto

Sue,
Your goal is to not need anything unusual when you breathe. Breathing is, by far, the trickiest part of this journey.

The two most common culprits are lifting the head to breathe and pressing down on the lead arm to support it. Rolling too far and breathing late in the stroke often cause the head lifting and arm pressing. So...

1. swim paying attention to your head position. It helps to swim with fins. If you lift your head, you will feel pressure on the side of your head. If you breathe right, your left goggle should never leave the water and your chin will be (or at least feel) higher than your forehead. Look for this.

2. swim paying attention to your lead arm. When your face rolls into the water after the breath, your left arm should still be in skate position waiting for the arm to spear.

The roll and breath timing are a bit harder to feel on your own. You may have post video. But spend some time skating and see if you can flatten out to your stomach any more while keeping your top shoulder mostly out of the water. Then, probably with fins, practicing breathing in that position.

The focus I like for breath timing is to have the chin push the shoulder out of the water. It is a more active focal point than I like, but it seems to work.
Old 03-08-2010

suelevin
Default Really Helpful, Coach Eric!

Howdy Eric,

Just returned from my workout. I actually printed this thread out and put it in a plastic bag (desperate times call for desperate measures.) ;)

Anyway, the tip that seemed least likely in my brain to work worked best: do some skating. That seemed to, as you say, lift me up or something so I could breath without having to lift my head (if that makes any sense???)

While things are not perfect--they're much better.

One thing I have to keep reminding myself of, in addition to wider tracks, is to enter sooner and steeper as I used to be a real flat arm/hand person.

So...my follow up question is this: my times are off maybe 10%. Is this normal? Any feel as to when I will be able to get back to my old times??

Thank you so much!!

Sue
Old 03-09-2010
TI Coach

CoachEricDeSanto

Sue,
Did you slow down your tempo to learn the new position? I find that the vast majority of the time, when learning a new position or focal point, you have to slow down. Then, as you practice, you keep in mind rule number 1 - always practice at the level that requires 100% focus. You can start extending your distance or increasing your speed immediately as long as you hold the technique right.