Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Links and References
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-18-2015

Richardsk

Here ,for example, is one of the 200m final in Kazan with title in Russian and commentary in Spanish:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tbppHl_FIws

I know the female commentator's voice well, but I'm afraid I don't know her name. I expect she's an ex-international swimmer as most commentators seem to be.

It looks as though nearly everything form Kazan is available on this channel.

P.S. At first glance it looks that way but many videos are blocked because of violation of FINA's copyright.

Last edited by Richardsk : 08-18-2015 at 09:25 AM.
Old 08-18-2015

Richardsk

Here is Ledecky's WR in the heats from the same channel. With English commentary (well, Scottish mostly).

I don't know who these chaps are either but familiar voices.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mjG-w2ckvqE
Old 08-19-2015

Rhoda

One thing I noticed from the underwater shots of her 1500m is that she has not so much a 2 beat kick as a 1.5 beat kick. It's almost a scissor kick. The left leg kicks quite strongly, the right leg barely moves. For shorter races she uses a more standard six beat kick.
Old 08-19-2015

Richardsk

Hi Rhoda

Gregorio Paltrinieri, as has been noted elsewhere, is another exponent of the almost one beat kick, whereas most female two beat kickers, such as Laure Manaudou and Brooke Bennett, seem to favour the symmetrical kick.

Interestingly, and puzzlingly for me, since most of the commentators are former swimmers, they nearly all comment that the swimmers are 'merely trailing their legs behind them', which is certainly not the case, even if the main propulsion is coming from the upper body. Perhaps they all had developed a near perfect body position while they were still very young and were unaware of the importance of body position to forward speed.

The race between Paltriieri, Cochrane and Jaeger in the men's 1500 in Kazan was very interesting because of the different kicking and pacing strategies.

Cochrane, with a mainly four beat kick as far as i could tell, went into an early lead but could not maintain the pace. Paltrinieri took the lead at around the 450 mark and held it until the end. Jaeger, with a six beat, I think, swam close behind Cochrane until about the 1000m mark, when he moved into second place and was gaining on Paltrinieri but could not quite catch him.

Too bad Sun didn't show up for the final. I'm sure the three medallists are pleased with their medals but they'd be even happier if they'd actually beaten him. An unlikely event perhaps, but who knows? Perhaps they will get the chance again at the Rio Olympics.

Ledecky was so far ahead in her race that one hardly saw anything of the other swimmers. It must be disheartening, but I suppose for a true competitor sort of inspiring as well. Perhaps there is some young swimmer out there thinking 'if she can do it, so can I'.