Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Freestyle
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-22-2013

silvestre.toth

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolane View Post
One thing is that I split my yardage (meter-age?) between front crawl and backstroke, so my actual front crawl yardage is half what I list above. I use backstroke practice to replace drills, which I don't do anymore but used to do a lot. I have found that backstroke swimming seems to be doing what the drills combined to do to my front crawl, i.e. improving my balance, streamline, feel for water etc. Plus it seems to strengthen the less-used muscles in my shoulders, preventing shoulder soreness/pain that I sometimes get when swimming front crawl only.
Oh well! That's the same that happens to me when I swim with my "long" stroke (40-42 SPL 50 m). I have to swim a great amount of backstroke to get rid of the shoulder pain. Now when I shorten my stroke (46-48 SPL), I can hold a little faster speed for much longer and WITHOUT shoulder pain. On Sunday I swam 6K (1:48), on Monday 4K (1:10) and today 3K (0:51) and still without shoulder pain.
Old 05-22-2013

wolane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richardsk View Post
Yes. long axis combo or LA combo was featured in the old four strokes DVD. Basically you swim three strokes of front crawl and then roll on to your back for four strokes of back crawl and then repeat.

There is a variant in which you alternate one-arm freestyle and one-arm backstroke.
Thanks Richard. Sounds fun. I will give it a try.
Old 05-22-2013

wolane

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvestre.toth View Post
Oh well! That's the same that happens to me when I swim with my "long" stroke (40-42 SPL 50 m). I have to swim a great amount of backstroke to get rid of the shoulder pain. Now when I shorten my stroke (46-48 SPL), I can hold a little faster speed for much longer and WITHOUT shoulder pain. On Sunday I swam 6K (1:48), on Monday 4K (1:10) and today 3K (0:51) and still without shoulder pain.
Hmm... I guess you were and I am doing what Coach Charles calls "pulling a SPL that we can't afford". I always thought my shoulder discomfort is due to bad form instead of over exertion. Maybe I should try shorter strokes and see how it goes.

I enjoy doing "long strokes" because I love the feel of stretching and gliding, which seems to be the most effective way to relax and recover from my running training. I know over-gliding is supposed to be bad, but for my purpose it is exactly what I am after. Maybe the key for me in terms of avoiding stressing my shoulder is to over-glide without over-stroking.
Old 05-22-2013

wie

Avoiding stressing your shoulder:
I have found swimming with fists very relaxing. Just a thought ...
Old 05-22-2013

silvestre.toth

Quote:
Originally Posted by wie View Post
I have found swimming with fists very relaxing.
That is relaxing. However, it slows you down a lot, so don't apply it while racing.
Old 05-22-2013

silvestre.toth
Default Spl

OK, back to answering the question: the best senior swimmers here in Hungary need between 40 and 45 strokes per 50 m on a race. Of course, when swimming leisurely, the SPL goes below 40. However, there are quite good swimmers (especially open water swimmers) who have SPL's above 50.