Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Freestyle
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-14-2013

samuel17
Default Help with Superman Glide !

Hi,
I am a distance runner who took up swimming from scratch very late in life about 4 months ago as cross training. At first I could not complete half of a 25 meter lap without stopping with freestyle. After 4 months I can now do about 150 meters comfortably, a bit more if I push. I have had nice improvements and decided the next step is the Perpetual Motion Freestyle CD. Problem is, I literally cannot do the glide. When I push off I cannot get beyond about 2 seconds before my legs sink right to the ground. I hardly move at all and it takes me about 6 or 7 tries to do a lap. I am slim with little body fat but I have seen excellent swimmers built similarly. Any suggestions for working on the glide and improving it? Thanks!
Old 05-14-2013

wie

I, too, am a runner and can't do it.
I concluded that my legs are just too heavy.
Women can do it always without problems, but slim men often can't.
I wouldn't invest too much effort in it. I tried a lot lying flat on the water. It doesn't work.
Old 05-14-2013

samuel17

Thanks. Well at least that makes me feel a bit better. But isn't this drill one of the foundations to TI, and should I continue to work at it, or it is perfect feasible to acknowledge I cant do it and move on from there to the next progressive lessons? I have the patience, but if it's not critical I will move on.
Old 05-14-2013
coach

CoachStuartMcDougal

Hi Sam, Most guys have heavy trunks, any slight erroros in postion cause hips to immediatley drop. I'm ice hockey, cyclist and marahon runner (super heavy legs and trunk).

When doing Superman drill, make sure to 1. hang the head between shoulders no tension in neck (goggles down), 2. extended arms/hands should point down between 3 and 4 o'clock (below the lungs), 3. no tension in hands/fingers (let them open and relax). Lastly, very mild kick, point toes and pigeon toe feet slightly, kick lightly from butt not the knees - you should feel your big toes brush occasionally. Think relax into weightlessness

I go through this with all my students, and even those with heaviest truncks, the hips rise and rump easily crowns the surface. Keep reps short 10 secs, if you feel hips beginning to fall - reset and start again in Superman.

Give it a try

Happy Superman and Happy Swimming!

Stuart
MindBodyandSWIM
Old 05-14-2013

keej01
Default running for years

My advice - do as the Coach above says.

Learn to rest your head in the water. Although I had many stroke flaws in the beginning, when I did this I was able to go much farther. I really believe after TI and my own experience that most people will not sink and the superman glide is the #1 lesson in the entire series. It will come don't worry. :-)
Old 05-14-2013

JKNAUER

Quote:
Originally Posted by keej01 View Post
My advice - do as the Coach above says.

Learn to rest your head in the water. Although I had many stroke flaws in the beginning, when I did this I was able to go much farther. I really believe after TI and my own experience that most people will not sink and the superman glide is the #1 lesson in the entire series. It will come don't worry. :-)
I too am a biker/runner and agree with the advice given. It helps me to relax the shoulder/kneck area which allows my head to fall into the water. focus on the bottom of the pool and lean on your chest/lungs which will raise your legs also. Worked for me, goog luck!
Old 05-15-2013

samuel17

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachStuartMcDougal View Post
Hi Sam, Most guys have heavy trunks, any slight erroros in postion cause hips to immediatley drop. I'm ice hockey, cyclist and marahon runner (super heavy legs and trunk).

When doing Superman drill, make sure to 1. hang the head between shoulders no tension in neck (goggles down), 2. extended arms/hands should point down between 3 and 4 o'clock (below the lungs), 3. no tension in hands/fingers (let them open and relax). Lastly, very mild kick, point toes and pigeon toe feet slightly, kick lightly from butt not the knees - you should feel your big toes brush occasionally. Think relax into weightlessness

I go through this with all my students, and even those with heaviest truncks, the hips rise and rump easily crowns the surface. Keep reps short 10 secs, if you feel hips beginning to fall - reset and start again in Superman.

Give it a try

Happy Superman and Happy Swimming!

Stuart
MindBodyandSWIM
Great advice from everybody, thanks. But i am confused here. The video clearly shows no kicking in lesson number one with the superman glide and that is what I have been following. If there is mild kicking allowed this will clearly help my legs from sinking so rapidly. So, kicking is ok? Thanks
Old 05-15-2013

daveblt

If your doing superman glide but you add kicking then your doing superman flutter.

Dave

Last edited by daveblt : 05-15-2013 at 01:49 AM.
Old 05-15-2013
Coach

CoachSuzanne

Listen to Stu. You can kick like he said or not kick. they will give you different results. But the suggestions stu made can help the legs stay higher longer which lets you feel what you are supposed to feel in SG a little longer. Just kicking to cover up other issues doesn't solve any problems, but Stu's suggestions do.
Coach of 5 time USA Triathlon Triathlete of the Year, Kirsten Sass
Steel City Endurance, LTD
Fresh Freestyle

Old 05-15-2013

wie

So, you say, it is physically possible for everybody to lay flat on the water without moving your extremities?
If yes, I might invest some more time into this.
I thought that it is just not possible for some people.