Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Swim Your Way to Health
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-24-2012

ScottMT
Default Body Blade for shoulder strength and injury prevention?

Anyone have long-term experience with this equipment? I've been using one at my physical therapists and it is very challenging. My PT work is over and I'm considering getting one of these but they are a bit expensive ($100), but of course much cheaper than physiotherapy. So any advice?
Old 02-24-2012

westyswoods
Default Da?

What is it can you describe.

Swim Silent and Be Well
Westy
Old 02-24-2012
Coach

CoachSuzanne

I use a bosu ball for unstable plank type work and the TRX suspension trainer. Each is even more expensive than what you state...I use them at a personal trainer's gym, who sponsors my ccyling team. My bike shop has also invested in them so for $5 I can go play with their stuff.

I find the instability incredibly helpful for sterngthing up my shoulders and making them feel great overall.

I'd say if hte body blade helped you significantly it might be a good investment.
Coach of 5 time USA Triathlon Triathlete of the Year, Kirsten Sass
Steel City Endurance, LTD
Fresh Freestyle

Old 02-26-2012
Coach

CoachDavidShen

My sports med guy has some also but I've never tried. However, I have been using Indian Clubs and Kettlebells to strengthen my shoulders. For materials on use, check out Dragondoor.com.

Both will strengthen and also help break apart scar tissue in their movements.

Kettlebells can be expensive. However Indian clubs are pretty cheap.
Old 03-25-2012

BradMM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachDavidShen View Post
My sports med guy has some also but I've never tried. However, I have been using Indian Clubs and Kettlebells to strengthen my shoulders. For materials on use, check out Dragondoor.com.

Both will strengthen and also help break apart scar tissue in their movements.

Kettlebells can be expensive. However Indian clubs are pretty cheap.
Coach,

A PT turned trainer friend of mine recommended "Stretch pec minor, strengthen lower trap, strengthen external rotation like in the article, increase your thoracic spine mobility. That should restore most of the issues associated with swimmers shoulder."

Since I'm not sure how to do all that, I mostly do Y raises with a band. HERE is the article that I sent him to comment on.

I have kettlebells, 30 lbs, 35 lb and two 45 lb. I'm doing some swings and cleans, usually with one of diff weight in each hand, but is this what you had in mind? I paid for one training class on them by a guy certified in KB training and I have Pavel's book and DVD.

I'm going to increase my 1 mile per day to 1.25 miles per day if time allows but my shoulders are sometimes a little tight and I want to prevent problems.

Suggestions?

Brad
Old 03-28-2012

vegjay
Default rotator cuff

I recommend the book: 7 minute rotator cuff solution...
I created my problem by doing an Upright row motion(discouraged in the book mentioned) with a breaker bar in a post hole on a wed... that friday my shoulder went immobile... and was unable to work for a month...
what has worked for me:stretching it by keeping my elbow next to my body flexed 90 deg and gently providing resistance that cause the forearm to move in plane with the side of the body...
Also after not being smart enough to know better I aggravated it with ballroom dancing... Having dated a DNFT chiropractor... I found one in my town...
and each time I saw him 2/3 of the pain would be gone... 5 visits...and no more problem (plus general fine tuning of removing all other past issues)provided I do not do anything stupid.
Old 03-29-2012

BradMM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegjay View Post
I created my problem by doing an Upright row motion(discouraged in the book mentioned) with a breaker bar in a post hole on a wed... that friday my shoulder went immobile... and was unable to work for a month...
Frozen shoulder?
Old 03-29-2012

vegjay
Default Frozen shoulder?

Frozen shoulder seems to be an ill defined term... so I would not know...
What I had done is well defined as the impingement (1 bursa and 3 tendons) that occurs when the arms are raised with the shoulder in forward rotation.
This is why never do: upright rows or front lat pulldowns... or (dips if you feel it in your shoulder...) also in ballroom dancing never force the lead and if the follower cranks etc.. on you.. (not supporting her own axis or just feels she needs to pump that arm to the music etc... not "listening" to the lead) just place her hand on your shoulder and tell her to take the lead from there...
(they have a big lat vs your tiny "rotator cuff" muscle) you are going to loose...
and loose big if you force the lead. I know I am talking of two different things here but they are so proximal and interrelated.. I just yesterday was shown a motion that is very helpful... I will share it as soon as I learn it.