Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Swim Your Way to Health
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-21-2012

nicka
Default Anyone giving free hugs today

After the last couple of weeks of very enjoyable swimming including some open water swims with friends, a great distance swim in the pool and last weekend doing drills in the ocean over a reef for hours while watching the marine life below and the feeling that my technique was spot on feeling balanced while breezing along with the thought that i made some real progress on my style and bilateral breathing problems and today i was pumped all day at work to finish up and go to the pool for some more drills and laps to see my improvements and hopefully improve some times while i wait for my tempo trainer and stroke counting watch to arrive......but......

I started off with a superman glide and seriously i sunk and could have kissed the bottom, then some more to only find little improvement, so onto some drills to only find myself not feeling balanced, not feeling streamlined, not going anywhere with my kicking and then to try my bilateral breathing only to have to stand up choking on the water that i swallowed.
So maybe just do some laps only to find i was feeling worn out after each lap so i ended up just running laps instead cause for the life of me i could not swim today and needed a hug

Anyone else have sessions like this where it just doesn’t go well at all.
Old 02-21-2012

krulich
Default Re: Free Hugs

If I was around I would give you a hug. Instead I'll suggest you take a deep breath and understand that we all have off days. I would go back to the basic drills and work back up to full stroke. This will give you a chance to relax and find your form again. Hang in there and have fun!
Old 02-21-2012

Butiki

~hugs~

We all have bad days like that. Just last month, I felt like you balanced and streamlined throughout my swim session, hitting a personal best SPL count and 25m time. The very next time I was in the pool (2 days later), I could not recapture it and felt frustrated. But I always look for something positive, as small as it can be...whether it be a focal point that's getting better or a drill that feels smoother, etc. Like someone on this board said, it's about the journey.
Old 02-22-2012

ewa.swimmer

Whenever I have a day like that I switch to another stroke for awhile. Usually that "resets" me.
Old 02-22-2012
Coach

CoachSuzanne

My worst pool swims are in the week following a splendid ocean based practice. I think the bouyancy allows me to a) swim further and b) slack on from. So I get in the pool and the firs tswim feels great...my endurance is superb. But then the 2nd & 3rd swims back I begin to notice poorer form, higher stroke coutns & more difficult breathing.

I go back to balance & breathing drills and all is well.
Coach of 5 time USA Triathlon Triathlete of the Year, Kirsten Sass
Steel City Endurance, LTD
Fresh Freestyle

Old 02-22-2012

nicka

Thank you for the replies and support, they are just as good as hugs

I went for an ocean swim tonight just to enjoy it and to try and remove that frustration that was still annoying me last night when i would wake up through out the night thinking about it, yeah maybe i need a break.

Anyway my ocean swim even started out not feeling totally relaxed as i think i still had a bit of tension and nervousness going on but after about 1k i started to tire just enough to relax i think and get everything back together again and then i was able to continue on for my longest swim yet, a 2.12 km swim and i even increased my speed slightly and i only stopped cause i was getting hungry

I have been asked to do a 500 meter swim being part of a team in a triathlon this weekend but i think i may be too slow and do not have the confidence to do it as i have never competed so Friday i am going to do a trial run of a quick 500 meter of the course to see how i go but i really think it will all turn pear shaped trying to swim with speed, anyway we'll see what happens.

Thanks ya all.

Nick

Last edited by nicka : 02-22-2012 at 09:41 AM.
Old 02-22-2012

nicka

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicka View Post
I started off with a superman glide and seriously i sunk and could have kissed the bottom,.
Hmmm and i thought this was a bad thing, just reading the happy laps download and it sais the following

The most common misconception is
the notion that you’re supposed to float on top of the water. This is,
in fact, impossible! No matter how “buoyant” you are, sinking into the
water is what the human body is designed to do – every part of the
human body, except for the chest cavity, is non-buoyant. The first
step to swimming well, to moving through the water with the greatest
of ease, is to learn to “sink cleverly”

I have learned something today and feel better for it