Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Racing
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-02-2009

pmuni
Default Frustration

I am writing from Chile to share my experience and receive feedback from fellow TIers.

I started swimming regularly two years ago at age 45, never having swimmed competitively before. I trained with a master's group twice a week, and six months later signed up for a few local races. My early times were a respectable 35s in 50m and 1:23 in 100m freestyle (25 meter pool).

Encourged by the early success, I joined a more competitive group and increased my training to 2-3 times per week. However, after a year and a half, I found myself unable to go beyond the 1:16 mark in 100m meter freestyle, with a dissapointing 1:20 in the Nationals (50 meter pool). I would get absolutely fatigued at the 75m mark, being unable to accelerate.

A few months ago I discovered TI, and realized how many things I had been doing wrong (head position, kicking, core rotation, etc.) I felt this was the key to solving my problems, and incorporated my newly found knowledge into an intense training program with my masters team (4 times per week, 2.500-3.000m per session). TI helped me get through the training sessions, which I would never have accomplished before. It was obvious that my physical condition was improving, as was my stoke style. I never timed myself in the three months since the Nationals, but was sure that my times must be significantly better.

This past weekend a group of us went to a big race in Brazil where I was anxious to test myself. The results, however, were terribly dissapointing, with a 1:18 in 100m free and a horrible 3:05 in 200m free. I have no way to explain what happened, but I felt frustrated enough to consider giving up swimming altogether.

I feel as if I have a mental block that does not let me perform in races, or at least I prefer to think that rather than to accept the fact that I my body cannot perform any better.

Reading some of Terry's postings I see that he emphasizes stroke lenght and stroke efficiency as the key to improving speed. Maybe I should focus on this rather than continue to up my training volume.

Do any of you coaches or TI enthusiasts have any suggestions for a new twist on my training before I opt for a new sport?