Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Swim Your Way to Health
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-18-2011

MerWoman
Default Sinus rinse with saline solution

Rinsing the nose with shower water is probably not a good idea. You are rinsing the nose with water that is most likely chlorinated and flourinated. There are many OTC nasal/sinus rinse products available in drug stores that should help. (NeilMed offers it with a Neti Pot which is gravity flow or a nasal rinse bottle that you squeeze. There are also many other brands out there now.) The saline comes in dry packets that need to be mixed with warm distilled water or previously boiled water. You can find a demonstration of nasal irrigation on you tube to see if it is something you are willing to do. Many people think it is gross and wouldn't even try it. Others are addicted to it. It's also not something to do in an open locker room atmosphere. Save it for when you get home. Your peers will appreciate it.
Old 12-20-2011

LennartLarsson

There is a nose spray called NASONEX. I don't know who is producing it, but I have used it for the same problems and it works. It contains cortisone, which of course gives you some hesitation, but according to my doctor and also from what I have read about it, cortisone that is used this way, should not be hazardous. Good luck!

/Lennart
Old 12-20-2011

Butiki
Default Nose Clip during + Neti Pot after swim

Quote:
Originally Posted by MerWoman View Post
Rinsing the nose with shower water is probably not a good idea. You are rinsing the nose with water that is most likely chlorinated and flourinated. There are many OTC nasal/sinus rinse products available in drug stores that should help. (NeilMed offers it with a Neti Pot which is gravity flow or a nasal rinse bottle that you squeeze. There are also many other brands out there now.) The saline comes in dry packets that need to be mixed with warm distilled water or previously boiled water. You can find a demonstration of nasal irrigation on you tube to see if it is something you are willing to do. Many people think it is gross and wouldn't even try it. Others are addicted to it. It's also not something to do in an open locker room atmosphere. Save it for when you get home. Your peers will appreciate it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LennartLarsson View Post
There is a nose spray called NASONEX. I don't know who is producing it, but I have used it for the same problems and it works. It contains cortisone, which of course gives you some hesitation, but according to my doctor and also from what I have read about it, cortisone that is used this way, should not be hazardous. Good luck!

/Lennart
I use a nose clip for swimming after suffering for years with nasal congestion after swimming. Had to alter my breathing habits but after a couple of sessions, it all feels natural again. Then after swimming, when I get home, I use my Neti Pot to irrigate and cleanse my nasal passages. It looks like a small teapot but filled with a lukewarm saline solution. Goes in one nostril and out the other - I know, sounds disgusting but it works. Most contaminants are flushed away. According to the yoga store I bought it from, it's based on centuries old method employed to ease in breathing in yoga. It's a great cleansing tool for people with most sinus problems.

The Nasonex is effective - used it for my spring allergies 2 years ago. However, for personal reasons, I avoid using it for swimming. I'm a little concerned about pumping medication up my nostrils for however long I'll be swimming which could be a long time!!
Old 04-10-2012

Eganed

Hi haschu,
Try to inhaling while swimming when your mouth and nose are above the level of the water and exhaling when your mouth and nose are in the water and avoid water to enter in your nasal passages.
Old 04-10-2012

Fernando

I use to swim in a municipal pool disinfected with chlorine, regular swimming got me into continuous nasal congestion which led me to quit swimming unless for an ocasional swim.

Last october they opened a new private pool in which they were using bromide-based compounds for disinfection. I was surprised to find out that I could swim 3-4 days/week without any but very, very slight simptoms. It was great! I took back swimming with new energies!

Unfortunately, about three months after opening the pool, some people complained in the local newspaper about bromide-caused allergies, and also it seems there was a fungal spread that they weren't able to cope with with bromide, so... they decide to change to chlorine.

And her comes my point: inmediately after the change sneezing came back!! I could even swear that I felt a distinct sensation in the eyes the first day some of the chlorinated water touched them... Now I'm swimming again 4-5 days a week, but the sensation of dryness and some nasal/sinus congestion has come back. Some nights I have to swallow a big bottle of water due to the extreme thirst sensation that nasal congestion and subsequente breathing through the mouth provocates .... I only hope this time I could keep on swimming.

So I don't say that bromide or ther kind of disinfectans are the solution, but for me it seems so.
Old 04-10-2012

Richardsk

I find that swimming with a nose clip protects against most of the symptoms of chlorine irritation. I didn't like it at first but having got used to it I find it doesn't bother me during normal practice and I can breathe out through the nose quite easily. I would never wear it for a race, though - except possibly for backstroke.

A pharmacist I consulted about it told me it was not an allergy but an irritation. Of course he could have been wrong. Even pharmacists make mistakes.

Rinsing out the sinuses with saline solution is also quite effective but not everybody finds this pleasant to do.
Old 04-10-2012

andyinnorway

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fernando View Post
I use to swim in a municipal pool disinfected with chlorine, regular swimming got me into continuous nasal congestion which led me to quit swimming unless for an ocasional swim.

Last october they opened a new private pool in which they were using bromide-based compounds for disinfection. I was surprised to find out that I could swim 3-4 days/week without any but very, very slight simptoms. It was great! I took back swimming with new energies!

Unfortunately, about three months after opening the pool, some people complained in the local newspaper about bromide-caused allergies, and also it seems there was a fungal spread that they weren't able to cope with with bromide, so... they decide to change to chlorine.

And her comes my point: inmediately after the change sneezing came back!! I could even swear that I felt a distinct sensation in the eyes the first day some of the chlorinated water touched them... Now I'm swimming again 4-5 days a week, but the sensation of dryness and some nasal/sinus congestion has come back. Some nights I have to swallow a big bottle of water due to the extreme thirst sensation that nasal congestion and subsequente breathing through the mouth provocates .... I only hope this time I could keep on swimming.

So I don't say that bromide or ther kind of disinfectans are the solution, but for me it seems so.
I have a friend who used to be a pool technician and he said the stinging chlorine sensation is because the chlorine is having to 'do its job' i.e. there are a lot of people urinating in the pool, if they stopped there would be much less irritation? Not sure if that is true or not, but it makes sense.

There is always a big difference between the Norwegian and UK pools and I think that's because the Norwegians get out when they need to go.
Old 06-04-2013

dprevish
Default us dorks

This is a good link as it speaks to some of the issues I've been having too; I'd been thinking about the nose clip. Some days it seems are worse than others, but despite my best efforts there is often water up the nose and it's never pleasant to deal with for several hours, or even for the rest of the day.

As for how we look, with my squid lid, big Aquaspheres and countless odd-looking drills...what's one more odd looking accessory gonna do?
Old 06-04-2013

CoachToby

I've had problems with a blocked nose after swimming for a couple of years now. I won't swim in a public pool without using a nose clip. As Andy alluded to earlier in this thred, the problem is the combined chlorine in the water, otherwise known as chloramines - the result of free chlorine attacking organic mater. It's these amonia based compounds that cause irritation to eyes and nose (and also create the smell associated with public pools). It's particularly bad in the UK because most swimmers don't shower before entering the pool, fewer still wear a swim cap and proper swim costumes aren't mandatory (not to mention all the urine that enters the water).
Old 05-25-2014

Talvi

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachToby View Post
I've had problems with a blocked nose after swimming for a couple of years now. I won't swim in a public pool without using a nose clip. As Andy alluded to earlier in this thred, the problem is the combined chlorine in the water, otherwise known as chloramines - the result of free chlorine attacking organic mater. It's these amonia based compounds that cause irritation to eyes and nose (and also create the smell associated with public pools). It's particularly bad in the UK because most swimmers don't shower before entering the pool, fewer still wear a swim cap and proper swim costumes aren't mandatory (not to mention all the urine that enters the water).
This is amazing. What an indictment!! I thought that here in Finland they were using a different system but I hear you. No wonder the French think of us as a dirty lot.

Hey Dave, what is a "squid lid"?!??

"The water is your friend.....you don't have to fight with water, just share the same spirit as the water, and it will help you move."
~ Aleksandr Popov