Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Freestyle
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-25-2011

bnichols4
Default Bi-lateral Breathing

What are some drills that I can use to improve my bilateral breathing technique. If I typically breath to the left would it be helpful if I were to concentrate my TI drills breathing to the right side or are there other techniques that will work better?
Old 10-25-2011

Richardsk

I'm having some success with the drill that I think is now called swing switch. Basically it's like the well-known fingertip drag drill, but you actually leave your hand in the water and concentrate on the elbow (I haven't got the latest DVD, so that's just my interpretation)

I find it very handy for working on various aspects of my stroke, such as the six-beat kick for instance, or 'wrong' side breathing, and it's close enough to full stroke to be almost interchangeable. I find I can swim almost as fast with this drill as with full stroke, sometimes just as fast, which seems counter-intuitive, but I'm obviously doing something better with the drill than with the full stroke.
Old 10-27-2011

Richardsk

In fact it seems the drill I'm talking about is now called zen switch. Here's a link to a video of Terry demonstrating it (and other drills).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JRg34...feature=relmfu
Old 10-28-2011

tomoy

I think you will find, that learning to breath on your weak side now will be an advantage eventually. It will feel awkward and you'll take in a lot of water the first X weeks or so, but eventually it will be better than your current strong (left?) side.

You probably have decades of breathing incorrectly on your strong side right now, and it will take longer to unlearn those habits than it will to learn the skill properly. I've seen this consistently in forums, and it was my experience too.

Just be patient, take it easy on yourself for not being an expert when it feels all wrong, and keep doing the exercises/drills and concentrating on what you're body is doing. You'll get there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnichols4 View Post
What are some drills that I can use to improve my bilateral breathing technique. If I typically breath to the left would it be helpful if I were to concentrate my TI drills breathing to the right side or are there other techniques that will work better?
Old 10-28-2011

arunks

I too am working on Bilateral Breathing.Found this article regarding Bilateral Breathing
http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/cm...articleid=2188

Hope this helps.

Last edited by arunks : 10-28-2011 at 09:31 AM.
Old 10-29-2011
Coach

CoachSuzanne

Quote:
Originally Posted by arunks View Post
I too am working on Bilateral Breathing.Found this article regarding Bilateral Breathing
http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/cm...articleid=2188

Hope this helps.
I'm going to hijack Gary Hall's post. I answered on the original thread when the question was posted in the forums (Gary didn't reply int he forums, but rather took the question asked of the general membership, and posted it in article form on the front page of that site). Hoever, there are a lot of additional pieces of advice in that thread. Here's the original:
http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/di...74&mid=3335741

And to save you time, I'll jsut redirect you to my reply, which has lots of stroke thoughts and ideas for learnign to breath to your more difficult side.

http://beginnertriathlete.com/discus...235402&start=1

If it helps you, feel free to post a new comment on that thread and bump it back up.
Coach of 5 time USA Triathlon Triathlete of the Year, Kirsten Sass
Steel City Endurance, LTD
Fresh Freestyle

Old 10-30-2011

Richardsk

I know it's tiresome and irritating to be pedantic and picky but I just can't help it.

The noun is breath
The verb is breathe

They're pronounced differently and they're spelt differently.

English spelling has some strange features, hasn't it? It would be easier if these words were spelt as spoken, as breth and breethe.

For some reason writing breathe as breath is very, very common.

Will it help me to breathe to my right side? Probably not.
Old 10-30-2011
Banned

Lawrence

I don't get the appeal of bilateral breathing. The elite don't do it save for a few strokes during races when checking what the opposition are doing.

Surely the important thing is to be able to breathe to either side, as one chooses, without feeling one has to alternate every third stroke.

PS I approve of the pedantry. I wish the world had more of it.
Old 10-30-2011

bnichols4

Coach Suzanne

Thanks for sharing this link, this will be my focal point for today's swim.

http://beginnertriathlete.com/discus...235402&start=1
Old 10-30-2011

tomoy

RichardSK, thanks, I often wonder that, did I spell breathe right or breath. Now I know.

I think it is important to be able to breathe to either side as well, and I think bi-lateral breathing is one of the best ways to add that to you arsenal. Terry put it really well in one of his youtube's, that it's good to end up at the end of a workout or race having breathed roughly the same on both sides. But waves, demand for oxygen etc. make defining a rule difficult.