Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Freestyle
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-04-2011

saadbox13
Default wall push-off arm/back injury

I started using my right arm to push off the wall instead of my feet because I had a bad calf cramp last week :) I do not do flip-turns because I end up almost in the middle of the 25m pool which disrupts my SPL practice sets.

For the past few days my lateral oblique started hurting due to arm push-offs, more specifically a strain in the lower part of the serratus anterior. is there anything you guys can recommend to ease the pain.

I should probably get coach advice before I get a more serious injuries, any feedback appreciated.

Thanks,

S
Old 08-04-2011

RobM77

It must be awkward pushing off with your arm. Try perhaps not pushing off at all? Your SPL reference points will all change (it'll add for example 1 or 2 to your SPL), but at least you're avoiding injury.

I sometimes don't push off at all if I'm swimming in a small pool, so that I increase the amount of swimming I do vs gliding.
Old 08-05-2011

saadbox13
Default muscle spasms

This just got worse, I am forced to stay home until I feel better
Old 08-06-2011

Swim4Him

Oh man that's just sad (no pun intended). I hate having to stay out of the water for any reason. I just started weight training and so I have to do that before I get to have my chocolate (swimming). But hey somethings are worth waiting for :)
Old 08-06-2011

saadbox13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swim4Him View Post
Oh man that's just sad (no pun intended). I hate having to stay out of the water for any reason. I just started weight training and so I have to do that before I get to have my chocolate (swimming). But hey somethings are worth waiting for :)
Yep! I am still hoping to be able to participate in a two mile swim up in lake Placid next weekend, we'll see how it goes...
Old 08-07-2011

Swim4Him

I should have taken excellent advice and stay out of the pool today. After training hard yesterday I couldn't resits the lure back to the water. After an hour swim, I still felt alright, but then I sat down for a drive home got out of the car and felt like a mac truck just hit me. So now we're both out of the water for a bit of time. I'll be praying that you heal quickly so that you can race at Lake Placid.
Old 08-07-2011
Coach

CoachSuzanne

Continue to use your feet, but just push off with yoru heels and feet flat on the wall. I'm not really sure how you push off with your arm only?

Terry has some videos on starts & turns that are worth watching.

Good luck at mirror lake. :)
Coach of 5 time USA Triathlon Triathlete of the Year, Kirsten Sass
Steel City Endurance, LTD
Fresh Freestyle

Old 08-07-2011

dshen

Quote:
Originally Posted by saadbox13 View Post
I started using my right arm to push off the wall instead of my feet because I had a bad calf cramp last week :) I do not do flip-turns because I end up almost in the middle of the 25m pool which disrupts my SPL practice sets.

For the past few days my lateral oblique started hurting due to arm push-offs, more specifically a strain in the lower part of the serratus anterior. is there anything you guys can recommend to ease the pain.

I should probably get coach advice before I get a more serious injuries, any feedback appreciated.

Thanks,

S
first i think you should stop pushing off the wall with just your right arm. your arm muscles are so much smaller than your leg muscles and continuing to do that is going to keep straining it over and over again.

i think you should go back to pushing off with your legs and examining why you may be cramping in your calves after pushing off a lot.

cramping in the pool can be caused by kicking too hard and wiping out your leg and calf muscles so much that when you call upon them to push off the wall strongly, you may cramp.

cramping of your calves can be caused by the push off if you are using your feet too much, using the extension of the foot at the ankle to give that little bit oomph of push off. then you overwork your calves to the point of cramping.

i would go back to pushing off the side of the pool with your legs, but i would think about engaging the whole leg in the push off, from the hips/glutes to the hamstrings/quads, and down to a more gentle extension of the foot as you push off the wall and straighten out. I would not focus so much on that last bit of energy by the foot extension at the ankle which is a calf muscle action and see if you can get a more balanced muscle action throughout the entire leg for a strong pushoff.

i think this may help your calf cramp problem.

but also, if you're kicking strongly and for some reason flexing your calves extra hard for some foot action during the kick within the laps, you may be wiping them out by the time you're using your calves yet some more for the push off if you're doing that foot extension thing...
Old 08-09-2011

saadbox13
Default thanks for the feedback everyone, here are some answers:

Unfortunately I do not think I will be able to make it to Mirror Lake as the stiffness travelled from the lower back to the upper shoulder now. I have concluded that this might not have been a direct result from arm push-off injury, how would this discumfort travel from back to shoulder in a few days. I feel much better but did not have the chance to hit the pool yet, maybe tomorrow...

@swim4him thanks for your support! :)

@coachSuzanne I watched Terry's starts & turns videos and need more practice to avoid the arm/leg push-off. I am forced to cancel the Mirror lake event for the time being.

@dshen thanks for the advice, I am not actually kicking too hard since I swim consistently using 2BK. Your assumption is right I was using feet extension rather than leg extension during push off...
Old 08-10-2011

Swim4Him

Sorry to hear you had to cancel the event :( But I know what you mean, when the stiffness and muscles just won't let you, there's no getting them to "let" you. I've recently begun an intense 6 day weight training program and have noticed that my swimming is being affected a bit because of it. So it's just a matter of pushing through or in our case... waiting patiently for things to work together again. I look forward to hearing how your recovery goes, and next swimming events. BTW your blogspot is pretty cool :)