Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Swim Your Way to Health
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-11-2010

sadieselbow
Default Beginning swimmer

I am a beginning swimmer at age 57. I have now found myself a warm enviroment just north of the equator with a great big lagoon and a saltwater pool. I want to start swimming daily without worrying about if I am right or wrong. The pool is 40 yards and the normal Wednesday lagoon swim is about 1200 yards. Which of the videos or books should I start out with? Coming to the Marshall Islands from Montana is a big change and I want to take advantage .

Thanks
Old 12-11-2010
Coach

CoachBobM

The short answer is: it depends.

First, what do you mean by "beginning swimmer"? Some people who call themselves "beginners" would have no trouble swimming the length of the pool, while others lack even the most basic water skills. Happy Laps is a DVD designed for those who lack basic water skills, but the Easy Freestyle DVD is a better choice for most people.

Another question is what your goals are as a swimmer. If your goal is to compete in triathlons, I'd recommend the book Triathlon Swimming Made Easy, but if your goal is simply to swim for fitness or to do competitive swimming, the book Extraordinary Swimming for Every Body is probably a better choice.

Bob
Old 12-14-2010

sadieselbow
Default Thanks for the tips

Thanks, I can get down a 40 yard saltwater pool alright. I want to swim for fitness and my own goals. Open water would be next here in this warm water ocean, but there are not any competitions on my horizons. I would like to be able to swim a mile or two without having stop.
Old 12-16-2010

chausman
Default keeping your head in alignment with your spine

Hi

I am new to TI and am completely starting from scratch after doing two ironman events averaging about a 145 per 100 for the second IM...but I need to be much more efficient

I am at drills one and two right now and I dont seem to understand keeping your head in alignment with your spine. How can I rotate my upper torso and lower torso to find my sweet spot while keeping my head still? If I kept my head still in the water (with the water jsut touching my goggles) while floating along, and rotating, then I wont be in alignment necessarily..

does anyone have any insight on this?

thanks for the help!!
Old 12-16-2010

westyswoods

Chausman,

The confusion most likely comes from thinking the head has to rotate with the spine/torso. Think of the head being on a shaft which runs from the top of the head through to the bottom of the spine. When the shoulders, torso and hips rotate the heads stays steady on the shaft while pivoting. It does not flex up and down or left to right.

Hope this helps
Swim Silent and Be Well
Westy
Old 12-17-2010
Coach

CoachBobM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sadieselbow View Post
Thanks, I can get down a 40 yard saltwater pool alright. I want to swim for fitness and my own goals. Open water would be next here in this warm water ocean, but there are not any competitions on my horizons. I would like to be able to swim a mile or two without having stop.
The book Triathlon Swimming Made Easy focuses a lot on distance and open water swimming, since that is what triathletes normally do in the swimming leg of a triathlon. The reason I originally suggested Extraordinary Swimming for Every Body is because it has a lot more information on strokes besides freestyle, and if your goal is fitness, I think it is best to mix the four competitive strokes, since each of them exercises a somewhat different set of muscles.

You will probably also want, at some point, to get the DVD Swimming Outside the Box (the "box" is the swimming pool). But be aware that the purpose of this DVD is not to teach freestyle, but to teach those who have already learned freestyle the additional things they need to know for open water swimming. So the Easy Freestyle DVD is the one you should start with.

Bob

Last edited by CoachBobM : 12-17-2010 at 04:20 PM.
Old 12-17-2010
Coach

CoachBobM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chausman View Post
I am at drills one and two right now and I dont seem to understand keeping your head in alignment with your spine. How can I rotate my upper torso and lower torso to find my sweet spot while keeping my head still? If I kept my head still in the water (with the water jsut touching my goggles) while floating along, and rotating, then I wont be in alignment necessarily..

does anyone have any insight on this?
One of our coaches summarized this as: "Say yes to no and no to yes." What she meant was that the kind of head movement you make when you're shaking your head "no" is okay, but the kind of head movement you make when you're nodding your head "yes" is what you want to avoid.

Bob