Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Outside the Box: Open Water Swimming
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-10-2010

ewa.swimmer
Default New Strategy

This morning I tried a new start strategy at the King's Swim race here in Kona. (1/2 the Iron Man swim course) Usually I start out at the side out of the way and start with my race pace. Today I started out in the middle of the pack and started out faster. A lot more bumping (relaxed wide tracks helped with this). I couldn't get into my rhythym because of the crowd for quite a while.
I felt a lot more tired at the halfway point. No one passed me the second half of the race and I regularly passed others so I guess they were more tired than me.
2 1/2 min. faster than last year so I guess the strategy paid off but just wasn't as comfortable.
Old 07-11-2010

bodisurfa

Wassup Ewa,
Been reading all these great post on swimming and this forum is simply awesome on tips and techniques.

First off, congrads on improving your time in today's race. A question I have for you, what would be your meal schedule/menu on racing day from time you wake in the morning? My friends and I will be doing the Tinman (7/25) in a couple of weeks and it's been a 3 month crash course of of swimming.

Thanks to this site I've learned a great deal on technique. How long have you been swimming and what was your time this morning, if you don't mind me asking.

Aloha...
Old 07-11-2010

ewa.swimmer

Aloha,
Although I did age group swimming I wasn't that good and stopped at the end of high school. I took a 32 year break from swimming and have now been doing ocean swims for about 4 years. I'll let you do the math to figure out how old I am.
My time yesterday for the 1.2 was 31:05 which makes my mile pace 25:54.
As soon as I wake up I make sure to start drinking water and I keep sipping it until the start. I've experimented with what I eat and for me eating a protein bar about an hour to an hour and a half before the race seems to work.
At the last Senior Games they offered DNA testing. One of the things I found out is that I metabolize caffine slower than most so if I want one of those energy gels to work for me I have to take it long before I need it. I will usually down one 30-45 min. before the start.
Good Luck on your Tinman.
Old 07-12-2010

bodisurfa

Aloha Ewa,
Thanks for answering my 2 questions! I hope to one day do a mile, under 26 mins. I took swimming in my younger years at the YMCA, but that was close to ions ago. Did a lot of bodysurfing down at Sandys and Makapuu, but that also came to a stop once our little one came along. Of course threading water, waiting for a wave, is a lot different then distance swimming.

Did not plan on doing the Tinman this year and was focusing on next years one, but the guys wanted to chance it this year, pushing my focus on re-learning the freestyle all over again. BTW, we're doing the "relay" version and I have the first leg which is the swim...should be fun!
Old 07-13-2010

haschu33

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewa.swimmer View Post
...One of the things I found out is that I metabolize caffine slower than most so if I want one of those energy gels to work for me I have to take it long before I need it. I will usually down one 30-45 min. before the start...
Caffeine and Sport,

While there are several studies that seem to indicate an increase in performance when consuming caffeine before athletic activities, here is one swiss study showing that the blood supply of the heart is decreased when consuming caffeine before your workout.

Read the full story here: Caffeine limits blood flow to heart muscle during exercise

Last edited by haschu33 : 07-13-2010 at 05:00 PM.