Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > O2 in H20: Breathing Skills
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-10-2009

Ghul
Default Rotation when breathing in FS

I have been practicing rotating to breathe rather than moving my head to breath (as for example in the TI book balance drills). Someone took a video of me the other day (don't have to post) and it looked as though I was almost
at 90 degree rotation (ie chest parallel pool wall). It seemed as though I was losing balance and my arms were rushing their stroke to compensate.

Is this more rotation than desirable? If so, how to avoid - I do turn my head but don't want to twist too much in case I end up lifting etc.

Thanks,
Ghul
Old 04-10-2009
Head Coach

terry has disabled reputation

Ghul

These are important skill goals, but they're also among the most exacting and challenging skill goals. Being able to fit a breath seamlessly into the rhythm of your stroke, rotating just enough, and keeping your lead arm in an effective catch position until you complete your inhale is perhaps the most difficult of all swimming skills to master. I've been working on that myself for years and feel as if I'm still improving. I'll post a lengthier blog on the subject, with images to help illustrate.

Lesson Six of the Easy Freestyle DVD is entirely devoted to improving your breathing skills. Also there are segments of Lessons Two, Three and Four which focus on other aspects, giving you a step-by-step way to develop that skill. Also the O2 in H2O DVD is a complete course in developing breathing skills.

May your laps be as happy as mine.

My TI Story
Old 04-11-2009

Ghul

Thanks Terry. The pictures on your blog entry are v helpful. I'm definitely over-rotating! Will work away mindfully on the drills.