Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Freestyle
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-07-2018
devadigs

Default Sinking Issue

Learned swimming when I was 40. I struggled with breathing until I started TI method about 6 months ago.

Main issue -Sinking

History
I have dense boned so I sink quickly unless I am kicking. Also, I do not have have ankle flexibility reduces my forward movement.

My swim story
I started my TI journey and I was encouraged with all the balance drill. I still kicked a lot to keep my afloat. About two months ago, my TI instructor talked about 2 beat kick and swimming from hips. I realized that I used a lot of my shoulder to propel forward.

When I started training on this one, I hurt my back (old injury) and then my sinking issue became very prominent. I have to say to a point of frustration. I started using fins just to get some movement in the water. When I remove the fins, all the techniques are lost as I get the feeling that I am a foot below the water. Especially when I have to breath, I have to get a slight lift to get air.

Help...
Old 03-07-2018
Mushroomfloat

Everyone can float level without kicking
practice this, when your achieve final position just start swimming from there never losing that position, take a few stokes and go back to the pencil float to reafirm position then continue.

https://youtu.be/YwOHzq8Qgso
Old 03-09-2018

novaswimmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mushroomfloat View Post
Everyone can float level without kicking

https://youtu.be/YwOHzq8Qgso
I don't agree. Every body has a different aquatic signature and different centers of gravity and buoyancy. Especially thin men with skinny or dense legs have a hard time. That isn't to say we can't all learn to swim. It just takes some adjustments and practice.

So not everyone can float level without kicking, nor do they need to. But we need to be able to swim as level as possible.

Last edited by novaswimmer : 03-09-2018 at 05:33 PM.
Old 03-09-2018

daveblt

I mentioned this in another thread a couple years ago, that if I try to float on my back without moving I need to kick just a very little with a slight sculling of my hands beside me so my legs don't drop. My wife is not a swimmer at all but she can do a back float by just lying there on the water and do nothing else. So body type does have some role in this to some extent .

Dave
Old 03-09-2018
coach

CoachStuartMcDougal

Yeah - videos can be misleading, we all have unique signatures. Females typically have a much higher profile or signature than most males. Although I know some guys that can float on surface by adjusting position only much like the young lady in the video, arm weight in front of lungs (or center of buoyancy), hang head - pop up to the surface. Most males are pitched at 45 degs or lower with heavier hips, but takes very little kick to lift hips to the surface. This is in clear water lake or pool however. My profile is very low in clear water (60 degs), but in the salt water of the Pacific, the body is much more buoyant - I can easily float to surface with body position shift only, no kick.

So it depends on swimmers' profile or signature *and* the body of water they are swimming in, whether clear or salt water.

Stu
Old 03-10-2018
Mushroomfloat

I found i could achieve that with my arms at shoulder level about 200mm below the surface
at the surface my legs started to drop and i needed a very light kick to stay level

adding a just breaststroke kick from this position (heels came out of the water on chamber) i was absolutley zooming in a glide

i agree though females have higher hip position due to anatomical fat storage being around the hips whereas men tend to be top heavy so need a deeper arm position usually at sholder level
Old 03-10-2018

Tom65

Spent over 40 years believing I couldn't float, then one day I extended my arms above my head, i.e. full streamline, hands just out of the water to balance my chicken legs and I'm floating comfortably.

All that relax your limbs stuff is BS, just gotta find your body position that achieves a balance in water.
Old 03-12-2018
Mushroomfloat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom65 View Post
Spent over 40 years believing I couldn't float, then one day I extended my arms above my head, i.e. full streamline, hands just out of the water to balance my chicken legs and I'm floating comfortably.

All that relax your limbs stuff is BS, just gotta find your body position that achieves a balance in water.
Great tip! thanks alot

I tried this this morning, got into full arms above the head streamline with hands locked and i was super level, this i managed to kick the length of the pool on one breath really thumping those kicks in, absolutley flying i was!
Old 03-12-2018
liolio

One thing I'm correcting now that caused imbalance and some sinking in my stroke is actually related to breathing.
Some time you think you are turning your head properly toward the (back) right or (back) left and you are not... Your neck an head makes a unecessary motion before the chin and mouth really rotates right (and back).
Something like be rising and tilting toward the right before the head actual rotation and chin elevations (actually driving the upper part of the head down where it should have stayed).
It is unconscious, at least it was for me, Some triathletes seems to do it in an exaggerate manner for sighting (either build the move on the same unconscious bad habit).
I'm not sure my description is clear, the issue is mostly gone for me (completely on the left, while it comes back to haunt me on the right) but it create a MASSiVE imbalance and it also shorten CONSIDERABLY the time you have for breathing. That parasitic (reflex?) movement take a lot more time than a simple rotation (driven by the chin) toward the right (and slightly back), I would 2 or 3 times more (+massive imbalance).

Like most parasitic movement you have no idea it is happening and you think you are doing right.
Old 03-12-2018

WFEGb

Hello Tom65,

Quote:

First: I don't like discussions with BS as an argument, and am glad they are extremely rare in the TI-forums. So this will be my last statement in this thread.

Second: If you found your way to swim and feel well and maybe even arrived the end of your strived at goals, nobody should dissuade you.

Third: Your statement about your hand out of surface... Hmmm, it will really help you to level your body parallel to surface, but only in a static (not moving forward) position. It's hard to believe (for me) that this will really be streamlined with a streamline parallel to surface. And if you're going to move your front arm, with hand above surface down to a catch/pull/push or however you'll call it, you have to press it down against the water. If you do that forcefully you might push your head out of the water like a dolphin and feel easier to get a breath, but you'll cause your legs to sink even more and worse, you'll initiate an unwanted bopping. And you put power into all that non-propulsion-movements. You do like that? Great!

Fourth: And now finally I'll shut up in this thread.

Best regards,
Werner