Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Freestyle
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-15-2008
Coach

CoachBrian

That's 57 miles in 2 weeks! You truly are a mad man, Madvet!

I hope soon to be able to run 40 mile in 2 weeks. But swimming 57? Wow!

Perhaps my running and biking interferes with my swimming?
Old 12-16-2008

splashingpat

I was able to work out my "imbalance" in the left-side vs. right-side breathing (see "lope timing" -- thanks Terry and Pat). My hand-entries became much quieter (a problem I noticed on my 2.4 mile open water swim this summer).

I know many swimmers, especially sprinters, don't recommend doing lots of long yards, but I found it especially helpful. Fatigue forces you to either fix your problems or get more fatigued.

As you can see from my daily yardages, I really didn't do long yardages until the second week. If my schedule allows, next year I will shoot for 150,000![/quote]

I'm Not sure how I helped?

and
emailing is Not as easy on this site....
It has to be set=up to receive 'em!
and you are not set up for it on this Site!

so if I helped in any way!
your welcome...
but you (i believe) have passed pat way up in your accomplished swimmin' skills
Old 12-21-2008

Rhoda

My particular shoulder strain has always been in the muscles running from the neck down to the shoulder joint. (Trapezoids?) Today I finally "got" what some of the posters on the old forum meant by using the shoulder blade muscles. While skating, I tried to slide the shoulder blade of my lead arm down towards my waist in the back. This kept my arm out in front without using the muscles on top of the shoulder. My extended arm really, finally, felt "weightless".
To backtrack a bit, I've been doing a rotator cuff strengthening exercise which involves those muscles under the shoulder blade. It goes as follows:
  • Stand with your back next to a wall and slide your arms up until they are straight out from your shoulders
  • Bend your elbows to a 90º angle.
  • Using the muscles at the bottom of the shoulder blade, rotate your arm upwards until the back of your hand is touching the wall (or as close as you can get it without straining). Feel your shoulder blades slide down towards the small of your back
  • If this feels easy, add a couple of very light weights or a soft stretch band.
I think this exercise will also help keep my arms closer to the surface while doing dolphin drill for butterfly.