Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Freestyle
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-23-2008

khoslaam
Default Help me correct my TI Technique on Video

I took the TI workshop this summer and this is my first video. I know I have a long way to go, appreciate any pointers. Not the best video but here is the link http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=OvlNLDrStZw
. I want to work on gliding, kicking and breathing. Any help is much appreciated.

Thanks.
Amit.
Old 11-23-2008

daveblt

Here are a few things that I see

1) The arm entry is extended a little too much.
2) When the arm enters the water it is too narrow toward the centerline.
3) The lead hand at the catch position is not patient enough and pulls back just a little too soon

Try to slip hand in the water closer to the side of your head and more in front of the shoulder .Keep lead hand relaxed and below elbow and keep it out front until recovery hand is about to enter the water .Besides that your definitely looking good !

Dave
Old 11-23-2008

Adam

I can add the following:

1. During recovery the forearm could be more relaxed.
2. you don't fully extend your arm beneath the surface.
3. You spread too much during rotation. This is usually an indication for imperfect balance.
4. I think (it's hard to way) that you might be lifting your head slightly when breathing. I could be wrong because I can only notice this when you're close to the wall, so it may be a result of peeking ahead at the wall.

I actually don't think the entry is too wide. It seems to me that it's right about shoulder length.

BTW, I don't like the fact that you push off the you do. I actually think that pushing off using the standard way (flat on your stomach, tight arrow shape & well balanced) helps figuring out other aspects of the stroke.

Also, this is quite good already. I'm not so sure you have a long way to go. It might take a long time to correct the faults that you have, but you're already in pretty good shape.
Old 11-23-2008

khoslaam

Thanks Adam, I see what you are saying

1. Yes I am forgetting to relax the forearm, (whats the concept behind that).
2. Does my leading arm beneath the surface, have to be straight i.e. elbox straight? Is this how you glide further?.
3. What do you mean when you say spreading too much during rotation?
4. I am lifting my head on one side, my left side, trying to fix that, any tips on that? What do I have to keep in mind, when I breath....do I tuck my chin in my shoulder and rotate towards the air i.e. so I am looking over my shoulder?

Yes, I am trying to enter shoulder length.

Thanks for the help.
Old 11-23-2008

khoslaam

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveblt View Post
Here are a few things that I see

3) The lead hand at the catch position is not patient enough and pulls back just a little too soon

Try to slip hand in the water closer to the side of your head and more in front of the shoulder .Keep lead hand relaxed and below elbow and keep it out front until recovery hand is about to enter the water .Besides that your definitely looking good !

Dave
Thanks Dave,
1. Are my tracks too wide? I thought that was the feeling I was supposed to aim for...it would feel wide but it would turn out right..maybe its too wide?.
2. I will watch out for being towards the center, what do you mean by too narrow?
3. I get what you are saying about the patient hand and being lower than the elbow....I try and aim for the 3 o'clock position...still got lots of work to do on this :)
Old 11-24-2008

daveblt

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoslaam View Post
Thanks Dave,
1. Are my tracks too wide? I thought that was the feeling I was supposed to aim for...it would feel wide but it would turn out right..maybe its too wide?.

No, what I meant is once your hand enters the water it seems to go toward the center a little ,so what I am trying to say is to actually extend your hand on a little wider in front of shoulder as you extend

2. I will watch out for being towards the center, what do you mean by too narrow?

narrow and being towards the center means the same thing .Extend in front of your shoulder and not your head

3. I get what you are saying about the patient hand and being lower than the elbow....I try and aim for the 3 o'clock position...still got lots of work to do on this :)
I think you misunderstand me ,the patient lead hand SHOULD BE lower than the elbow which means your arm should NOT BE less than 3 o'clock

Dave

Last edited by daveblt : 11-24-2008 at 12:19 AM.
Old 11-24-2008

khoslaam

Thanks Dave, I got you. Appreciate the advice and clearing up things for me, I kinda thought thats what you meant just wanted to make sure I was on the right track. I noticed what you were trying to tell me when I looked at the video again.

Cheers
Amit.
Old 11-24-2008
Coach

CoachBobM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveblt View Post
Let me expand on this a bit:
It appears that he is extending his recovering arm too far in front of him and then almost laying it down on the surface of the water. What he should do, instead, is pierce the surface of water with his fingertips a little in front of his head and then slide the rest of his forearm in through that same hole (like putting it into a sleeve) toward his clock position (which should be closer to 4 o'clock than to 3 o'clock).

Quote:
I think this is because his arm entry and body roll are not properly synchronized. It looks like he has already started rolling toward his breast before his recovering hand enters the water, so his bent elbow causes his arm to slide toward the centerline of his body (i.e., his long axis) as it enters. He then straightens it toward his track position. What he should do, instead, is to coordinate the start of his body roll with the entry of his fingertips. This will cause his arm entry to gain an assist from gravity as it slides forward and down toward his clock position. (Note that this probably means starting the hand entry earlier rather than starting the body roll later.)

Quote:
I thought it was a little hard to tell, since his hand and arm are entering near the surface and then dropping. Instead, he should be sliding his recovering hand and arm straight into the water toward his clock position.

Bob
Old 12-05-2008
Coach

CoachShinji
Default Nice music!

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoslaam View Post
I want to work on gliding, kicking and breathing. Any help is much appreciated.
Amit,

Your swim is very good! It appears that you have practiced TI swim so much since you took the workshop. I like your BGM very much.

One Kaizen Point from me: When you breathe, you tend to raise your head like below;

I added a laser beam on your head :) It looks like being aimed toward the camcorder.

Let's try to use the power of hand-entry.
1) Enter your hand into the water.
2) Roll your body as your hand is extended in the water.
3) Roll your face as your body rolls; Keep the center line of your face aligned with the center line of your body.
4) If you can do No.3, the laser beam from your head always stays in the water.

You are doing very good. Please try the above focal point and let me know the result.
Freestyle Demo (#2 ranking worldwide on YouTube)
Graceful Freestyle
9 Stroke Freestyle
Old 12-21-2008

khoslaam

Thanks for the tip Shinji, I will pratice the focal point.