Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Backstroke
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-14-2009

pinda
Default Backstroke Catch

When exactly is the backstroke catch started. Everytime I swim backstroke I end up hurting my shoulders.
Old 05-15-2009

daveblt

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinda View Post
When exactly is the backstroke catch started. Everytime I swim backstroke I end up hurting my shoulders.

After the recovery hand leaves the water and is in the air about 30 degrees over the water is a good time to start the catch.The recovery and pulling arms are pretty much opposed in motion but this bit of overlap can help you swim a little taller.

To help your shoulders :

Turn your hand so the palm faces away from you as your arm comes over you in the air and goes back into the water .

Set your rhythms in your hips not your shoulders .

Apply force evenly as you catch the water and pull.

Dave
Old 05-15-2009

madvet

For me, a big help was teaching myself to relax my shoulder before the catch: The shoulder muscles are engaged in pulling the shoulder up as the hand enters the water. If those "up" muscles are still engaged when you pull down ("down") then you are fighting yourself. So, I relax my shoulder while I set my catch (by dropping my elbow and medial rotating my upper arm) Doing that has allowed me to go from 14 SPL to 8 SPL in cruising mode, and 20 to 14 in faster mode.
Old 07-15-2009

pinda

Hi guys yesterday I had a revelation. When doing the pull, after my hands enter the water I purposely pushed my elbow away from my body before I start my catch and to my surprise I had no pain in my shoulder. Is this the correct thing to do?
Old 07-15-2009

shuumai
Send a message via Skype™ to shuumai

Quote:
Hi guys yesterday I had a revelation. When doing the pull, after my hands enter the water I purposely pushed my elbow away from my body before I start my catch and to my surprise I had no pain in my shoulder. Is this the correct thing to do?
Sounds good. One way I thought of working on a vertical forearm catch in freestyle was to move the elbow directly out to the side. It makes sense that something similar would work for backstroke. And if it relieves pain, it can't be very wrong.
Old 07-16-2009

pinda

I know have much more confidence in my stroke.
Old 08-06-2009

elskbrev

Quote:
If by this you mean that your catch arm goes into an "arm wrestling" angle, it is correct.