Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Favorite Practices and Sets
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-09-2009

shuumai
Send a message via Skype™ to shuumai

Picture attached. Is that extreme or is should I aim to get my knees that close to my chest that early? At a similar point of rotation, I'd bet my upper legs would be at the surface and my lower legs sticking straight up out of the water.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg flip-tuck.jpg (90.6 KB, 13 views)
Old 05-09-2009
TI Coach

CoachEricDeSanto

One more drill I would like to add to Dave's sequence that has helped me a lot. That is push off the wall take one stroke and flip at the flags. Finish on your back in streamline.

I like this drill for two reasons.
1. I really shows you how fast you can flip with momentum. This has worked well for my students who have a hard time flipping straight over or opening too early. The momentum really gets them over.

2. While ending on your back at the flags, you notice that, if you had a good flip, you are still drifting feet first in the same direction you started. This shows you when you are moving forward during the turn which helps eliminate the swim - stop - turn - push that many new flippers do. If you move forward during the turn, you can start one stroke earlier and you have more of a bounce effect coming off the wall.

I do this before the turn and place drill that Dave mentioned.

Also, for my more advanced swimmers, I do a drill based on our old fish drill. Kick a 25 in fish (head lead skate-for the new comers) and drop into a flip from fish. It is very hard and forces you to get into the flip from the torso, not from the arms. This allows getting to arms into streamline faster and easier.
Old 05-09-2009

AWP

Good point about the use of arms and torso Coach Eric.
I guess I should have mentioned a focus on the 'crunch' although too much emphasis on this might 'interfere' with a smooth transition (in my mind). The use of the arms in this instance (my post to Shuumai) as a guide so to speak to a 'tight' tuck position, the actual use of abdominal muscle a natural cause and affect, one to enhance as you progress.
Great points all as I continue to work on my transitions.

Alan
Old 05-09-2009

AWP

P.S.

I recalled a post Terry had made a while back on the topic of how is was better able to make/keep/hold his positions in yoga by allowing his extensions if you will to happen instead of trying to forcefully put himself into a position (not sure I made that clear?). I took that 'idea' to my swimming, in particular, when I began practicing flip turns.
"...be the ball Danny..." , be the turn Shuumai, be the turn.
Old 05-10-2009

shuumai
Send a message via Skype™ to shuumai

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWP View Post
be the turn Shuumai, be the turn.
Got it! hehe Maybe I've been spending too much time thinking, Just don't die.

I'm looking forward to working on the flip and also the open turn. I've ignored them for too long. Now that it's easy to get across the pool, it's annoying to do bad turns.

When it comes to the open turn, I think it's the same problem of not tucking enough, but also I think my legs drops a bit on the approach, causing a lot of drag. I have to keep thinking, Low and level. And tuck tight.