Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Freestyle
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-14-2009

naj

You know watching the videos and reading the comments from some of the others I now see that my recovery might be a bit to long and straight as well. The "reach over the barrel" technique is probably what is missing...hmmm. Anyway, without question every time you over-rotate you will fishtail on your kick, I know because I can feel when I do it on my own rotation. That being said, your hand entry is nice and smooth, head position is good from what I saw and your bi-lateral breathing (something I'm envious of) is nice as well. Remember wide-tracks I saw a couple of times that you were very close to having your lead arm go in front of your head.
Old 02-17-2009

AWP

Thanks again for the comments.
Rad, a special thanks for your in depth input into EVF. A hell of an analysis and it surpasses the one I received with my video, kudos. And you're right I do see most of the things that need attention. I put forth quite a bit of attention on what was happening above plus balance and streamlining, which I credit for making me 'smooth', but need now to put forth the same attention on what is happening below (now that I can see). *
My plan of action is to refine from the bottom up. Getting my kick under control will hopefully lead to getting my rotation under control, more symmetrical (over too much turning left), sending energy more forward as opposed to from one side to the other. By this I mean a deeper focus on keeping the downbeat more vertical, my legs long and the kick originating from "my gut". Once I feel 'easier' flow I'll put my focus on a more effective catch. What I dub now as a too late catch.**

I believe I've already set on a good path as last night at squad practice I had one of my most effortless main sets with a main focus on controlled legs, vertical compact downbeat. Our target effort level was approx. 83%, the set 7x200 on 20sec rest (Which was a tad much. Can't believe I just said that ).

To start my night off right I ran into the coaches in the lot who 'presented' me with a trophy that I had missed receiving during their annual awards new year kick off party. And I couldn't be happier for what I was recognized for: I was given the "Mr. Smooth" Award for having the smoothest stroke!

* Madvet, I'm sorry for the quality. I tried to rectify with no success thus far. I tried uploading to YT but it made my computer crap out. Will have to try again another time.

* Shuu, honestly the pressure that I apply is very light and comparatively makes me look like I'm "blasting" but as evident from the above surface video I'm really entering quite modestly. I never leave the pool with any sort of shoulder fatigue in the least. As a matter of fact last night I did feel 'tight' lats and this morning a firm core so I think I'm on to something : )Thanks for the reference.

** Rhoda, I loved my FGs and do need to replace what seems my umpteenth pair. It's been quite a while so maybe I'm due.

** Dave, I also 'feel' it's more a too late catch. Needs attention nonetheless.

naj, I'm finding there is a happy medium between wide tracks and good rotation. It ensures rotation originates from the hips something I let go every now and then. Focus must be a constant!!

BTW for those who are thinking about video please please do it! It is the only real tell all for allowing one to make corrections and refinements if you can't 'get to' a WWS or TI Coach.
Old 03-11-2009

AWP
Default Revelaton II

Not to beat a dead horse, but I was able to upload these since my first attempt (computer issues fixed) and reposted some excerpts as well.

These first two were taken the first summer (July '06) after beginning to swim in Aug. '05. This outdoor pool is where it all began for me. A 30yd. length (90 ft/ 27.5m+-). I remember wanting to view a medium pace and a quicker pace. Horrible cross over : o

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JIEJgfT_SF0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yuxfJOM3e7Y

This next clip was a year later, same pool. Initially wanting to view a '100' free (really 120) I remember abruptly deciding to make the last two lengths breast and backstroke. I also recall not having practiced backstroke since that winter prior and it shows, ouch !

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0YhSfdDy078

And I'll repost this most recent for comparison.

http://blip.tv/file/1758229/

Btw I'm not convinced this is the best representation of my swimming nonetheless I've been making progress in my refinements. Thanks again.
Old 03-12-2009

shuumai
Send a message via Skype™ to shuumai

AWP, your jammers look dark pink! Or is that just the video? I'm hoping it's the camera because I just ordered red jammers. hehe

I was able to watch the videos, but they are choppy on my system. If it isn't just my system, we should work out the issue sometime.

Anyway, turns look good, push-offs look good, breaststroke looks good. Long axis strokes...they are suffering from that cross-over.

In one video you seems to drift to your right while face down. In another video you seem to drift to your left while face up. In both cases it seemed that at least one arm was reaching too close to the centre or beyond.
Old 03-12-2009

don h
Default awp swimming

awp,

i only looked at the last clip. i saw a wide flare preceding the kick of each leg when the opposite hand enters. i thought the flare was greater when you flared your right leg as the left hand entered. one of the above posts referred to overrotation. this and/or balance issues may be an underlying cause of the leg flare.

by the way, i'm probably not terribly qualified to be critiquing your swimming.

don h
Old 03-12-2009

AWP

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuumai View Post
AWP, your jammers look dark pink! Or is that just the video? I'm hoping it's the camera because I just ordered red jammers. hehe

I was able to watch the videos, but they are choppy on my system. If it isn't just my system, we should work out the issue sometime.

Anyway, turns look good, push-offs look good, breaststroke looks good. Long axis strokes...they are suffering from that cross-over.

In one video you seems to drift to your right while face down. In another video you seem to drift to your left while face up. In both cases it seemed that at least one arm was reaching too close to the centre or beyond.
Shuumaister, I assure you that they are red, fire engine red and still are today. BTW they are just now starting to get droopy, more clingy after swimming. So from July till now? not bad. I'm in the pool an average of 4 days per week for an hour.

Sorry for that. I don't know what else to do.

Thankfully the crossover was eliminated almost immediately after I first viewed that clip back in 06. However, somewhere along the line I lost focus on my 'quiet' legs and am actively working that focus back in. It means readjusting/refining balance and when on feels more effortless.

The backstroke 'drift' is gone as well (for good I hope). Plenty of "Fish" drill on my back; helps for a quiet legs focus too.
Wide tracks focus has kept me in line as well but a 'lazy' or unfocused lead arm can send me off track now and again. More ingraining to do.

I hope to get more and more vid for analysis this season and will share with all if and when I do. Thinking of that "baggie" option for the camera. Also thinking of talking the aquatics director here at work into budgeting for a camera... for their swim team of course : )
Old 03-12-2009

shuumai
Send a message via Skype™ to shuumai

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWP View Post
I hope to get more and more vid for analysis this season and will share with all if and when I do. Thinking of that "baggie" option for the camera. Also thinking of talking the aquatics director here at work into budgeting for a camera... for their swim team of course : )
Right. hehe Really, a camera would be useful to swimmers and coaches there, I'm sure.

I don't know if I'd use a regular Zip-lock bag for a camera. On YouTube I saw a guy use a clamp made of two pieces of plastic and two wing nuts to seal a bag. But he also fused a different type of plastic with the bag to make a viewing port.

I won a Dicapac WP-500 bag on ebay for $20. That's an older model. You could get newer models for $30.

As far as video goes, could you send me a short video so I can see the quality before you upload it? Maybe I can find the cause of the choppiness. You can contact me off-list through either private messaging or e-mail.