Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Backstroke
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-09-2008

Jamwhite
Default Backstroke unlocked swimming for me

There is some irony that it is backstroke that helped me learn to swim because, all through high school, backstroke was my primary stroke (though I was never a very fast swimmer).

I have been swimming drills from the Total Immersion book for about three weeks now, and so I decided to start drilling the other three strokes since my freestyle seemed to be coming along nicely. Today, I tried the one arm backstroke drill for the second time.

First time, that I tried this drill, it was frustrating because I could not get my body to turn correctly from side-to-side as my arm would go out and can pull back in.

While doing it today, I had this wild idea to move my hips first and then move my arm. Now, I am sure that this is said in the books, but I never got it until that moment. All of the sudden the idea of "hip drive" made sense, so I put my fist gloves on and started swimming my freestyle drills by turning my hips first. Next thing I know, I am zooming up the pool.

The swimmers in the next lane (I'm on the slow side of the pool), who are working hard on their laps, appear to be sitting still. So I take off the gloves and swim lap after lap using my new hip-initiated technique at my new higher speed until I realize that the rest of my form has collapsed.

So while it was not a complete success, I continue to be extremely pleased with the TI materials and how much better I am able to swim now.
Old 11-09-2008
Head Coach

terry has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamwhite View Post
Today, I tried the one arm backstroke drill for the second time.

First time, that I tried this drill, it was frustrating because I could not get my body to turn correctly from side-to-side as my arm would go out and can pull back in.
The second drill in the Backstroke For Every Body DVD -- Rotate with Recovery -- illustrates a hip-initiated single arm drill. The Voiceover for this drill reads, in part,
"Synchronize your arm movement with body rotation.
Your right hip should touch the surface as your left hand enters.
Your left hip touches the surface as that hand finishes."

There are more focal points in subsequent drills that reinforce development of the hip-driven habit.