Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Freestyle
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-09-2009

dcoughman
Default sportcount cumbersome

How do you remember to press the button while flipping? Too difficult for me.

Yes I always count with letters and I count round trips. I.e. if we are in a short course pool A=50, B=100,... If you are swimming a 500 I remember that the last 50 is J. It is still possible to screw it up but it has worked for me.
Old 01-09-2009

daren

I also lose count of laps often. I think the fact that its a problem for a lot of people is an indication of how much a mental chanllenge swimming is.
Old 01-09-2009

shuumai
Send a message via Skype™ to shuumai

I just received the SportCount today. I'm not highly impressed yet, but I haven't actually used it.

I did think of a nice way to trigger it though. A sensor on the ring finger maybe and a magnet on the thumb. Simply cross the thumb under the hand close enough to the sensor to trigger it. That way there is no button press and the streamlining of the hand is barely affected.
Old 01-10-2009

shuumai

I just thought of another use. Reverse tempo trainer. Count strokes and the average time will be the stroke rate.
Old 01-10-2009

Rhoda

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuumai View Post
I just received the SportCount today. I'm not highly impressed yet, but I haven't actually used it.

I did think of a nice way to trigger it though. A sensor on the ring finger maybe and a magnet on the thumb. Simply cross the thumb under the hand close enough to the sensor to trigger it. That way there is no button press and the streamlining of the hand is barely affected.
Using a magnet with any sort of digital device is probably a bad idea.
Old 01-10-2009

shuumai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhoda View Post
Using a magnet with any sort of digital device is probably a bad idea.
Ah, that is both true and not true. There is a thing called a Hall effect sensor that depends on magnetism. But I wonder. Maybe the rest of the device would need some shielding which would make it a little more bulky. Well...it's just a thought.
Old 01-10-2009

woody-som

I've had a sport count for around 6 months now, and use it twice a week. great device and works perfectly, OK I don't flip turn very often, but even when I do, I just press the button after the turn, worth every penny, and allows me to concentrate on the stroke rhater than trying to remember the number of laps.
Old 01-11-2009

shuumai

I used the SportCount today. For stroke counting I hit the button every time I extended the hand with the counter on it, then doubled the number. (Yeah, it could be off by 1 maybe.) There is a problem with counting each stroke though. If your tempo is less than 1 second, the device -- the Chrono 100 model -- assumes you want to pause the counter.

I counted 18 strokes shortly after getting in the pool.

Used to time a set of 100 yard repeats worked well, although the numbers were sad. :-P My best time was 23 seconds. The worst time was 30 seconds. I guess I average about 25 seconds per 25 yards, partly due to extremely bad turns.

I also noticed that I negative split, unless I'm not timing the lengths consistently. For example, on the first test I got these numbers: 30, 25, 25, 23. I forget the second test, but I know the last number was the lowest. On the third test I stayed at 25 for each length. It seems that each set was slightly faster than the previous one.

Conclusion: If nothing else, the SportCount adds a little fun and feedback to the routine. If helps to have a rough idea where you are to plan and gauge progress over time. The SportCount serves those functions. (I still think the next lower model, the Combo, is maybe a better deal that the Chrono 100.)
Old 08-05-2009

BradMM

Reviving an old thread.

So how do these lap counters work? I've looked at the pictures but haven't found how you're supposed to record a lap.

Also, any more feedback on these would be appreciated.

Brad
Old 08-06-2009

shuumai

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradMM View Post
Reviving an old thread.

So how do these lap counters work? I've looked at the pictures but haven't found how you're supposed to record a lap.

Also, any more feedback on these would be appreciated.

Brad
In the case of the SportCount, you press a button to count the laps. That is done by squeezing the counter between your thumb and finger.

I'm considering selling my SportCount because I really don't need to concern myself with time so much. I'm considering a tempo trainer instead, or building my own crude version.