Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Freestyle
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-31-2008

joeintx
Default Counting laps

How do you all keep an accurate count of how many laps you've gone? I'm just learning and since I'm concentrating on different things, I sometimes tend to lose count! I've thought about keeping some sort of "counter" at the edge of the pool.
Old 01-01-2009

roates
Default Counting Laps

I use a SportCount 90040.
Although this is the basic model I'd give it a 5 star rating.
It fits comfortably on the first finger. Very robust, efficient and allows you to click/change underwater - which means no stopping!
My wife and I have had no problems with ours, been using them for at least 6 months and we've clocked up a lot of lengths between us. Even given it as presents.

Here's the website
http://www.sportcount.com/products.php

Available in the UK from
http://www.activeplanet.co.uk

Happy New Year to All
Roger Oates
Old 01-01-2009

naj

I'm going to have to look into that gadget to count laps. From my persepective if your new to swimming (as am I) it seems wiser to concentrate on technique and making sure your TI freestyle is right. If you start worrying about how many laps you do you might have that as the goal rather than solid technique and having fun. Don't worry over time you'll be up to 15oo meters before you know it.

Last edited by naj : 01-01-2009 at 12:16 PM.
Old 01-01-2009

Rhoda

I always lose count of my laps, unless I say the number out loud. Even then I can lose it if something interrupts my train of thought. It helps to count each out-and-back as a "lap", the smaller number confuses my poor aging brain a little less. Although I gather in swimming a lap is actually considered to be one length. Tried the Sportcount thing, hated having it on - I don't like anything around my wrists and hands.
Since there is usually just a fixed period of time in which to swim, I just work on the drills I feel I need to work on, try to bring the same focal points in whole stroke, and try to fit as much as I can in the time space.
Old 01-01-2009

daveblt

In the 13 years of doing TI I don't think I have ever paid too much attention to the number of laps to how far I go or even worried about it .My main concern for each and every lap is how well am I swimming with a focal point every time .

Dave
Old 01-03-2009

madvet

I'm with Dave, I don't usually count. I concentrate on pace more than the count.

When I want to count, I breathe to the left on odd laps, and breathe to the right on even laps. It seems to keep me from skipping forward. If I screw up, I start at the last number I am sure of -- that motivates me to keep track better.
Old 01-03-2009

woody-som

since buying a sportscount in the summer, I now find I actually swim further than I thought. I could never keep track of the laps, and concentrate on my stroke, best thing I've bought for the money.
Old 01-03-2009

GeneP

I had a counter that worked well but apparently left it laying on bench in shower. So develop a pattern of putting it away when you get out of the pool.

Check out: http://betterhealthtmbc.blogspot.com/
Updated 2/16/2010
Old 01-03-2009

chiswimmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeintx View Post
How do you all keep an accurate count of how many laps you've gone? I'm just learning and since I'm concentrating on different things, I sometimes tend to lose count! I've thought about keeping some sort of "counter" at the edge of the pool.
The easiest way to do this is to find out your average lap time. For example, if it takes you 50 secs to do 25m, then average it out as 1 min. If you swim for 1 hr, then you've done 60x25m = 1500m (very close to a mile = 1609 m). You do the math.. I agree with Dave that time, lap repeats and so forth are not all that important as improving your skills and streamlining. Incorporating ideas from Shinji's videos (great TI swimmer), I've managed to do about 2900m in 1 hr swim just a few days ago, which bested my older 1800m record in 1hr 45min. I've only done TI for about 9 months and been swimming for only 1.5 years.. However, I think attribute my fast accession to Chi-running, which shares very common attributes -- using core to propel you forward and increase range of motion through the hips.
Old 01-04-2009

joeintx

Thanks for the links to the SportCount thing, really cool!

However as some of you have pointed out, technique at least at this point (I've only been swimming for 8 weeks) is far more important than distance.

Thanks everyone for your replies!