Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Freestyle
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-31-2008

Rhoda
Default Finis swim snorkel

Santa brought me a Finis Freestyle snorkel for Christmas and I've used it about three times now. Although not the most pleasant pool toy I've tried, it seems to have some benefits:
  • Makes me keep my head level. If I don't I get a mouthful of water, so no bobbing or chin tucking. Talk about instant feedback!
  • Allows me to do more switches, especially underswitch (spear switch) in a length, so saves a little time when I don't have much available.
  • Oddly, it may have improved my breathing. Could be just coincidence, but I now find myself breathing out more thoroughly when my face is in the water. I wasn't aware of how much I was holding in.
I think this could be a useful device for someone who is struggling to learn both breathing and balance and wants to focus on just one at a time. I'd recommend the regular one instead of this model, though. So far it only seems to be good for things like active balance and fills up with water immediately when doing dolphins. Then again, maybe that's a way to learn not to dive quite so deep.
Old 12-31-2008

joeintx

Rhoda - Thanks for the info. I'm an adult onset swimmer, I just took my first lessons last month. Since I couldn't get the breathing right, I googled around and discovered the Finis Snorkels. At first I was looking at the Freestyle one but settled on the regular one. So looks like I've made the right decision!

I'm trying to learn the TI "way" of swimming. I'm mainly a runner but am really enjoying swimming now. I'm not very good at it and still feel a bit self conscious about it!