Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > O2 in H20: Breathing Skills
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-21-2008

Koala
Default Nose peg

Hi, I have been training using the TI method for a couple of years. All this time I have used a nose peg. To break the habit is going to be long and slow, I feel. I bought the O2 in H2O dvd to try to do this.

Isiti worth the trouble?

Also, I often swallow a lot of air when I swim. After I am out of the wter that is very uncomfortable. Does anybody know why I swallow air and how to stop?

Thanks
Old 12-21-2008

AWP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koala View Post
"Hi, I have been training using the TI method for a couple of years. All this time I have used a nose peg. To break the habit is going to be long and slow, I feel. I bought the O2 in H2O dvd to try to do this."

Well you've started with the right material. Pay particular attention to the most rudimentary aspects especially bobbing. It's all timing (and relaxation) and if your balance is great this will come along sooner than you anticipate but should remain an aspect to fine tune continually.

"Isiti worth the trouble?"

Definitely! The 'freedom' experienced will be well worth it. Will you get water up your nose ? Probably initially but will find comfort eventually. Timing.

"Also, I often swallow a lot of air when I swim. After I am out of the wter that is very uncomfortable. Does anybody know why I swallow air and how to stop?"

I know what you mean here! Learning this will help to alleviate this as well by learning to properly exhale especially through the nose; timing.

Some have an adverse reaction to chlorine and have become quite adept to using the plugs. I say what ever brings them back with a smile is good.

Much luck and keep us up on your progress.

"Thanks"
P.S. "To become effortless rquires great effort."
Old 12-21-2008

daveblt

I guess you mean (nose clip) but anyway in a couple of years time have you learned a proper breathing rhythm ? Remember that as long as you are exhaling and blowing bubbles from your nose when your face is in the water and maintaining the exhale THROUGH to the surface that there is no need to fear water going in your nose.

Dave
Old 12-22-2008

Koala
Default Nose Clip

Thank you both.

Daveblt, yes, I mean a nose clip, and have been breathing out through to the surface of the water.

AWP, thank you for the encouragement. I will go back to some basic training to "relearn" my swimming. I have been enjoying relaxed swimming so much I was reluctant to start over to do the breathing drills. But if no nose clip means not swallowing air, then it will definitely be worth it. I look forward to the freedom too.

On the DVD it suggests leaving your mouth open underwater. My natural reaction would be to close my mouth and only open when I break through the surface. Any thoughts on that?

Thanks
Old 12-23-2008

daveblt

Take an inhalation and then slowly exhale with lips closed .You will feel corked up and pressure begin to build up in your chest .Now do the same and exhale with lips parted .Notice the difference ? Swim with lips parted while exhaling under water.It will also help to give you a relaxed stroke.

Dave
Old 12-23-2008

AWP
Default Starting over

Koala,

No need to 'start over' just incorporate. The exercises and drills should be your prep, practicing stationary and in slow methodical lengths then taken to your swimming. Alternate, swim then drill, drill then swim.

As I mentioned I feel it is a timing issue really, while working out the right amount of 'pressure' to release.

As Dave mentioned keeping the mouth open will keep a more relaxed state and show you (anyone) that even the slightest pressure will keep water out of the mouth. But in your case you've been breathing solely from the mouth so this shouldn't be a concern. If I guess correctly it's water up the nose you are concerned with.

Follow the lessons paying close attention ( listening and watching intently to the demos) and remember steady pressure out and steady in. You'll find you won't have to inhale with such/ much demand.

Experiment! Blow out hard, blow out little, inhale deep and inhale 'gently'. Find your breathing.

Much luck and keep us up.

"To become effortless requires great effort."
Old 12-23-2008

ironteeth

Hi

I started swimming in May this year and had to use a nose clip as I would get the most awful blocked nose for a week afterwards if I didnt. In the end the clip broke about 3 weeks ago. I found that if I exhaled gently out through my nose as it describes I ran out of air too soon amd all my breathing went wrong and my nose filled up with water. My tip is to hold the air in the nose and let possible a few bubbles escape rather than gently bubble out, then as you rotate the core to the air blow the remaining 90% out so you can inhale once your mouth is clear. If you are swimming slowly the protective bow-wave is not there to such a degree and you may have to rotate a liltle more to clear the mouth.

Mark
Old 12-23-2008

AWP

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironteeth View Post
Hi

If you are swimming slowly the protective bow-wave is not there to such a degree and you may have to rotate a liltle more to clear the mouth.

Mark
I'll just add that keeping your 'laser' (top of your head) pointed forward in the water, maintaining head/spine alignment, will assist with this actually keeping your mouth 'higher'.

Be careful not to resrict your breath, from mouth or nose, too much as this may eventually lead to a build up of CO2 and a feeling of breathlessness in turn leading to ((swallowing)) air.

Timing.
Old 12-23-2008
Coach

CoachBrian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koala View Post
On the DVD it suggests leaving your mouth open underwater. My natural reaction would be to close my mouth and only open when I break through the surface. Any thoughts on that?
Having the mouth open underwater prepares you to inhale when you get to the air. I often see swimmers who over-rotate to breathe, and breathe late in the stroke. By having the mouth open when it arrives at the air, you can take in air immediately.
Old 12-23-2008

Koala

Dear All,

Thanks for all the tips. I will try what you suggest over the coming weeks.

Regards
Koala