Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Outside the Box: Open Water Swimming
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-16-2013

Ken B
Default wetsuit

I've got a 2 mm cheapee and I love it. Not too much buoyancy. good stretch, easy to get in and out of, moderate warmth, neutral balance, seems robust. Feel like I'm up front with the Brownlee bros. when I'm going well.
Velocity 2.2 pro.
Old 05-16-2013

swim2Bfree

One of the great pleasures of open water swimming is the feeling of the water on one's bare skin.
Old 05-16-2013

CharlesCouturier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken B View Post
I've got a 2 mm cheapee and I love it. Not too much buoyancy. good stretch, easy to get in and out of, moderate warmth, neutral balance, seems robust. Feel like I'm up front with the Brownlee bros. when I'm going well.
Velocity 2.2 pro.
Good lead! 2mm is awesome for someone who is not seeking for buoyancy.
Old 05-16-2013

CharlesCouturier

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachStuartMcDougal View Post
Claims: "Enable high elbow catch, even as you fatigue", "Arm crossover alignment", "Improved kick" --- Really? Must be a magic suit. Other than added buoyancy and flexibility, the claims/features are stretching it a bit. Excellent marketing campaign to the triathlete though, but most wetsuit companies make comical claims too.
Do you know Professor Huub Toussaint?

I learned way back then in my selling classes (back then, I wanted to be a salesman) that selling involves translating properties and attributes into meaningful benefits for the potential customer.

P (as in Problem) 1. Dropped elbow can be aggravated by any lack of flexibility along the whole arm adduction chain (that's based on my personal opinion)
P2. Crossing over can be aggravated by any lack of flexibility along the whole arm adduction chain, biceps included
P3. Kicking can be deteriorated if too much lift at the front causes the body to adopt a bad position

S (as in Solution) 1. Some stretchable fabrics seems to be added right where it is needed
S2. Same principle as solution 1
S3. They're probably referring to the 3:5 component here, where the whole upper body is maintained lower than if the suit was for instance 5:5

For the records, these suits are not manufactured or distributed by SwimSmooth. They were part of the dev team, along side Huub Toussaint, but these are completely separate entities.

PS - Thanks for your tips on brevity and succinctness. I'll get it someday, hopefully...

Last edited by CharlesCouturier : 05-16-2013 at 09:05 PM.
Old 05-17-2013
coach

CoachStuartMcDougal

You are good sales Charles, I may need you for some promo. Phrases, "can be ...." are generalizations and can't pin the company down on false claims, but creates a perception the suit "can possibly" fix a problem. All claims other than added buoyancy and flexibility, the same can be said for sleeveless or just going skins too. I didn't realize SwimSmooth designed the suits until I searched for HUUB.

Ken: The 2mm Velocity, is that "Bare Velocity". I keep getting 2xu velocity on searching. Can you post a url to the site or description. Thanks!

Stuart
MindBodyAndSwim
Old 05-18-2013

Ken B
Default Velocity

Stuart

Speedskin appears to be the brand, Made in China of course.

Velocity Pro 2.2 is the model. I bought it from NZ mail order shop, Torpedo Seven.

Ken
Old 05-19-2013
coach

CoachStuartMcDougal

Thanks Ken, found it. Velocity Pro 2.2

Nice thin suit and price, wonder if they make a sleeveless shorty. And their claims are reasonable: Flexible, added buoyancy, comfort collar, thin not as durable. No features to improve kick, high elbow catch, or fix crossover.

Cheers!

Stuart
MindBodyAndSWIM
Old 02-25-2016
marciomvp

Default Lake Michigan in August

Hi,
I'm planing on doing the 70.3 Michigan in Benton Harbor (Lake Michigan).
Does anyone know the temperature of the water in August?
Would it be needed a wetsuit? Perhaps sleeveless.
Does a swimskin provide minimal warm protection?
Thank you guys
Old 02-25-2016
michaelmarshall5030

Default Go for a sleeveless

Even though I am trying to transition away from the use of a wetsuit altogether to just a swimsuit, I have owned 3 wetsuits; a shorty, a full-body, and a sleeveless Tri-suit. I bought my first wetsuit, the shorty, for a different purpose than open water swimming, so I cannot comment on the functionality regarding open water swimming, yet I will say that it was manufactured by O'neil, and I bought it because it was rather inexpensive; yet I learned that buying budget priced suits is not always the best idea because the seams did not hold up after a few years. Once I moved to our home on the river, I wanted to get back into swimming for exercise, even though I did not SERIOUSLY pick it back up until 9 months ago. I bought a 5/3 mm full-body suit made by Sorrento and liked it. I bought it more for "flotation" than anything. Yet, I felt the sleeves were restrictive, so researched sleeveless suits. I bought a 5 mm sleeveless Tri-suit manufactured by Neosport, and absolutely LOVE IT! I recommend a sleeveless wetsuit, and Neosport tends to be a common brand. That's my input...