Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Links and References
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-27-2012

andyinnorway
Default And then there was the Garmin 910xt

Finally found a store with stock of this elusive uber training watch from Garmin.
(Fit2Run florida mall, orlando).

Just started playing with it but the difference between this and the poolmatepro I bought last year is incomparable.

It might be the size of a 1980's personal computer but that's because its packing some serious hardware. the display is back lit, shows up to 4 data points at once and is stroke accurate.

Then you upload the software and wow (see attached)

Cheapest price I found was $359 with roadrunnersports.com vip discount (costs you $1.99 to join vip club) so a big investment but so exciting to see the lap breakdown etc etc.

Am also very excited about open water season and seeing how straight I swim across a lake
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2012-02-27 at 08.41.38.jpg (20.9 KB, 53 views)
Old 02-28-2012

DD_l_enclume

Can you wear it on your wrist when swimming in OW ?

Last time I tried a GPS watch (no specifially designed for swimming), I had to wear it on my head under my cap because the GPS signal was lost underwater (I guess the hand spends too much time underwater).

Look promising anyway. I'm waiting for more of your reviews during the year.
Old 02-28-2012

krulich
Default Re: Garmin 910xt

Andy, I'm glad to hear that you like your 910xt. I'm keeping my fingers crossed as I have birthday on March 17th. I enjoy my G310 while riding my Mountain Bike, but I'm especially looking forward to swimming with the 910xt. I've only heard great things about it.
Old 02-28-2012

BSISTANI
Default Re: Garmin 910XT

I bought mine about a month ago and loving it.
No need to count laps and yes, it can and should be worn around your wrist.

Most of my triathlon friends got one by now and they are loving it...
There seems to be a bug for the running portion but watch up for software upgrade. Once you register your device, Garmin will send you reminders to upgrade your software.

Cheers
p.s. I sold some of my older Garmin(s) on ebay and made up some of cost.
Old 02-29-2012

MJR
Default Garmin 910

I am havving varied luck with my Garmin 910. After 500 yds/m, laps are miscounted. Strokes are not counted accurately. For example, I am getting strokes per 25yds of 7 & 8, 50 yds - high teens and low twenties.

I' m not tech savy so it could be me, but I suggest that you borrow one before purchasing.

The online service for uploading data is fabulous and thus far, flawless.
Old 02-29-2012

andyinnorway

All swim watches like to be worn on your first lead hand as they take a number of strokes to register a lap so give it the chance of the extra half stroke.

Also stroke count on the watch is a whole stroke cycle so if it reports 7/8 for 25yds that would be SPL 14-16 which sounds like a typical ball park?
Old 02-29-2012

Zoner
Default Packed Full of Data

I've had my 910XT for about a month now. I don't have an older model to compare it with but I can't imagine anything can compare. I've found accurate SR and lap counts so far. And the GPS works fantastic in OW. The HR strap won't work while you're in the water however. It won't get damaged while in the water, so you can wear it in your tri training or swim to bike workouts. The grade options for me is a big bonus for biking. Most racers know where their limits are to hold cadence uphill for example and a quick look at 10% and you know you're in for some hard effort. But for review and getting down a race plan, garminconnect is awesome...no more writing all your data and transferring it over. There's a couple things that I'd like to see added but that'll come I'm sure. Setup is fairly intuitive but some of the best options are a couple levels in so be patient. Garmins support line was great the time I called. You need to purchase the cadence sensor if you want all your bike data. It also has a quick realease strap so you can twist the watch off and attach it to your bike as your main computer.
Old 02-29-2012

MJR

Thanks andyinnorway! Now it makes sense.