Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Freestyle
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-11-2008

Zuzana
Default Problem with balance

Hello,
I have really problem with balance in water. I often miss feeling of solid suppport and weightlessness when I swim or drill. Sometimes I get it and then my lap is a happy lap, but often I don't and just struggle through water. I was wondering, if anybody has any idea how I could improve.
Old 11-11-2008

daveblt

Most important is too relax meaning all body parts . Being tense will make you sink. Don't be afraid to lean in to the water and keep your extended hand below elbow as you reach in to the water. Keep head and spine aligned by looking down .Don't over rotate . Rotate enough to clear shoulder but not to a stacked position in drilling and whole stroke.

Dave
Old 11-13-2008
Head Coach

terry has disabled reputation

Dave makes a good, and underappreciated point. Relaxed swimmers always float better than tense swimmers. This is why Superman Glide and Superman Flutter (Lesson 1 in Easy Freestyle) have been so helpful to many swimmers.

Have you tried this sequence?
1. Push off the wall into Superman Flutter. Keep gliding and lazily fluttering until the feeling of weightlessness registers.
2. When it does, pull your left arm to your side and spear the right forward to your X/Y targets, as you rotate into Skating. Remain for a moment to register that your sense of support is just as good.
3. After a moment, do a left arm "ear hop" and continue swimming the rest of the length, giving extra attention to hitting the same spot -- and having the same balance sensations -- with your right hand entries on each cycle that you did the first time
On the next length repeat the sequence, but switch sides.

Additional focal points that will improve balance:
1) "Hang" your head and point your laser beam forward.
2) Soften your hands and make sure hand is always below wrist, which is always below elbow as you reach for catch.
3) Rotate just enough (to clear each shoulder) and avoid rolling too much.

Let us know if you've done these.
Old 11-18-2008

Zuzana

So I have tried the sequence, and it works really well!

At beggining I had problem to rotate into skating and keep the same sens of good support as in superman glide, and even in superman glide I couldn't reach it every time.
Then I remembered Dave's advice "most important is to relax, meaning all body parts". When I relaxed also my legs, suddenly they felt light and I could easily lean forward, let water support my head and reach solid, effortless balance. From there it was easy to rotate into balanced skating.

Since then, practising this seqence, I could glide through every lenght without any struggle. Sometimes I can swimm so easily I am really sorry the wall is there. I used to be happy to reach the wall. And few times I could swimm in perfect balance and oneness with water, I guess in that "bliss" I heard about, and I am very determined to learn to swimm like that all the time. Lots of work ahead of me, but joyfull work.

And focusing on balance and streamline just on one side at a time is much more effective than watching balance in general.

Thanks!!
Old 11-18-2008
Head Coach

terry has disabled reputation
Default Relaxation -- and the Forum-- works!

Zuzana
Wow, what a fantastic result from posting your question on the Discussion Forum and from using the "relax into weightlessness" exercise. Would you consider writing an article for the Total Swim e-zine relating this learning experience you have had, just as you related it in email and in your most recent Forum post? Even knowing that English is not your first language, I think you have a great eloquence when writing about your swimming -- with thoughts like being sorry to reach the wall and joyful work to look forward to.
Cheers,
Terry