Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Outside the Box: Open Water Swimming
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-11-2015

sojomojo has disabled reputation
Default Open-Water Swim Guide for North America

With the open-water swim season upon us, many of us will be now be heading outdoors to swim. Here’s a Swim Guide to help you find safe and accessible areas to swim in North America. I don’t know if this database has been shared before on this forum, but it’s been my go to resource whenever I need to find an open-water swim area in an unfamiliar location.

For my area, the Pacific Northwest, the Swim Guide information is very current especially for health and safety concerns. As I’ve gotten older and my immune system has gotten weaker, I'm more likely to heed warnings of e. coli and red tide . . . warnings that I don’t remember ever being an issue or a concern in my youth.

The innovative application was originally developed by the Lake Ontario Waterkeeper to communicate beach safety data in the Great Lakes Region and the application also displays data input by member groups of the Waterkeeper Alliance across much of North America.

The Swim Guide is a FREE downloadable application for iPhone, iPad, iPod Touch, Android (2.1 or higher) or viewable at this URL:

https://www.theswimguide.org/

The Swim Guide utilizes water quality monitoring data from government authorities to determine the quality of water at a growing number of beaches throughout North America. Green marks indicate where the water quality is acceptable, red marks show where it is unsafe. The Swim Guide is updated as the public data is gathered and posted. The guide also provides descriptions of public beaches enabling users to get directions, view photos and even report pollution immediately to local affiliated pollution monitoring programs.

Features on the Swim Guide enable you to:
  • Discover accessible marine beaches near you
  • Identify at a glance which beaches are clean for swimming (Green) and which have water quality problems (Red) in real-time
  • Get walking, driving, or transit directions to the beach of your choice
  • Bookmark beaches for easy access
  • Invite your friends to join you at a beach using Facebook, Twitter, email and SMS text messaging
  • Report pollution or environmental concerns
  • View original descriptions with photographs of over 1,500 different beaches so you can learn a bit of history and geography as you explore

If you’re aware of a swim location that’s not included on the Swim Guide, there is a link in the website or on the application to submit that information.

Last edited by sojomojo : 06-12-2015 at 06:34 AM. Reason: Typo